Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA family secrets on BBC2

Options
  • 11-05-2022 10:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone watch?

I love these shows.

Anything that gets more DNA/genealogy into the popular mindset is good.

But, I want more info. And too much relying on ethnicity results!

I see the actual research is doing by Finding Families - a UK company who don't much engage with the community. Louise Baldock gave a talk at a recent Genealogy Show and unlike most people's presentations, which is them talking to a screen with a powerpoint presentation, hers was a like a mini-documentary, where she interviewed a client, etc. Quite unusual. I know these events are not well paid, but if she's doing work for a TV show, the money is presumably not the object.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not a fan of Stacey Dooley generally but I decided to watch it all the same and I'm glad I did as it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Yes, it was short on detail which I expected but it wasn't all about the crying either which is something else one usually expects with this type of programme.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Turi King confirmed on Twitter that they go into a lot more detail than makes it into the edit, and that they only research stories they show (unlike WDYTYA which researches much more).

It does seem strange though that she and Stacey have the same clothes on for all the visits. All filmed on the same day seems odd.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Allows for re-visits/re-shoots to not look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Repeat: Tonight BBC 2, 11:15pm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Discovering that one of your relatives played the saxophone with Howlin Wolf is quite the result!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Have to admit that episode made me cry.

I think this program is done very sympathetically and it's not sensationalised. I like they mention having counsellors, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I rarely look at TV but I watched some of this program tonight. Infuriating, I left it in disgust after 20 minutes or so. From a content perspective it is not about genealogy because it shows no methodology; it is not about DNA because it simply repeats cliches about what DNA can do with a ‘worldwide database’. It seems they dare not show a tree or mention any science for fear the ‘vulgus’ might change channels.  It is pure voyeurism, taking some poor eejit with a birthfamily issue and then washing their linen in public for the gratification of the prurient. A program aimed at those who would enjoy secretly reading someone’s private diary and now have an excuse to do the equivalent.

The presentation is odious, where is the Beeb getting its presenters? Joanna Lumley, Lucy Worsley, and now Turi King and Stacy Dooley. King might be a genetic genius (?), but she has the presentation skills of a rural county councilor and a script that is inane. The unthreatening Stacey Dooly might have empathy with her interviewees, but her manner is cloying and her diction appalling – gen-eh-ics, pho-os, dau-her, etc. I now understand why on Craggy Island  Fr. Jack threw his bottle at the TV.

Mick - I think you're being over-dramatic. Of course, this type of program has to dumb down the work that goes into what they present. That's true of any show where some of the audience will have much more specific knowledge than most of the viewers. I think this one is refreshing by comparison to the Long Lost Family format.

I think Stacy Dooley brings a more everyman approach which the BBC desperately needed for a long time. So what if she doesn't speak in received pronunciation? The UK is full of diverse accents and they should be represented on their national broadcaster.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement