Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkman 4 in the works

Options
  • 11-05-2022 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

It looks like they are making another Darkman movie.

I wonder will Liam Nesson come back for a 4th Darkman ?

I saw an interview with Neeson from a few years ago were he said he didn't like sitting in the make up chair for hours to do the make up for Darkman.

But maybe if he returns the Darkman make up can all be done by CGI like they did for two face in Batman.

https://www.looper.com/857085/the-untold-truth-of-sam-raimis-darkman/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well he did only star in a third of the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There was a Darkman 3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It does at least have the wonderful subtitle ‘Die Darkman Die’, which is a vast improvement from the preceding ‘The Return of Durant’ (who the hell cares about Durant or his return?). They are both direct to video schlock, however, even if consensus has it DDD is an improvement over TROD.

Regardless, the original Darkman was a fun one and done three decades ago. Seems pointless to reboot it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Darkman 2 and 3 were straight to video.

The first Darkman film is the only one worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

In other news Taken 4 is also in the works.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-taken-4.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm not surprised. Sam Raimi is hot stuff again with Doctor Strange so studios will want to work with him and capitalise on his recent success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The wording used in the chats with Raimi is that studios are interested in a "legacy sequel", which would imply Neeson might be enticed/paid to return - though not sure it's a story or hero you would want a passing of the torch.

Darkman was a monster, and that was quite explicit in the film IMO: it had the energy and aesthetics of a comic-book, but the beating heart of the story was more like a Universal Monster flick of yore. The big finale included Neeson realising he's a monster and went F it.

There's also another Evil Dead on the way, but not with Raimi directing. Not sure if it's a sequel to his Evil Dead, or the straight-laced reboot from a few years back (or indeed a sequel movie to the TV show that I believe was much loved).

I'd prefer it if Raimi did something new with his renewed clout; something small and personal that he was interested in rather than yet more nostalgia bait. Can't imagine he needs the money between Marvel and his producing days in the 2000s (Xena etc), so that might give him more horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The Evil dead tv show is worth a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought the 2013 remake was pretty pointless, although the last 10 minutes or so were quite good in terms of atmospheric horror. Zero interest in a sequel to that film, though.

The Ash Vs Evil Dead TV series was a great follow-up to the films though - very much in the mode of ED2, and while some of the plots can be a bit meandering it is all coherent and fits together. I'm not sure what a sequel would look like, but I'd be cautiously open to one if it happens.

As for Darkman, though? Shrug, couldn't care less. Something about Raimi's idea of how to translate "comic-book sensibilities" to film leaves me cold, possibly that he likes aspects of superhero comics (like the soap-opera) that I'm not interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I loved the original Darkman. This thread has reminded me that there was a Darkman 2 that I never saw, but it's news to me that there was a third movie.

I'd happily watch a proper sequel if Raimi and Neeson are involved.

I must watch Ash vs Evil Dead; ED2 is one of my favourite movies. And once again I urge everyone to read Bruce Campbell's memoir "If Chins could Kill".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would assume they would do what the likes of the new Halloween did and ignore the sequels so this would be the real Darkman 2.

Advertisement