Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steel french press, burr grinder - how to make nice and not bitter coffee?

• 11-05-2022 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So I have a big steel french press, it comfortably makes two full mugs and its full capacity was listed (by the seller on Amazon) as 1.2 L. I really like steel because glass cracks easily in the dishwasher.

I also have a Krups burr grinder. So I expected some nice coffee - but am failing to make it. Instead, it's either watery or bitter.

The Internet (tm) says use coarser grinds, somewhat large amounts of coffee, limit brewing to 5 minutes. But it gets bitter. Smaller amounts with a coarse grind get watery; with a finer grind, bitter again.

I did also start preheating the steel french press first by keeping some freshly-boiled water in it, covered, for a minute while rocking the press. Things got somewhat better but not a lot.

So what's the secret here? How can I work out the formula for coffee that would be full-bodied but not bitter?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have you tried James Hoffmann's French Press recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Somewhere between 50-60g per litre, and you need a decently coarse grind, 3 to 4 minute brew time

I don't know what's going wrong for you, and I can't comment on your grind size because I don't know about your grinder.

Do you do any other methods using the same grinder?

Aeropress?

only thing I can say is that I use the same grind setting for Clever Dripper as French, but a bit finer for Aero

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Ultimately, I got a variable temperature kettle, a glass press, and switched to 2-3 minutes steep times. Now there is a balance between body and bitterness that at least appears within reach.

Advertisement