Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audiobook or Podcast to Fall Asleep To (5 Year Old)

Options
  • 11-05-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Normally at night I read to my 5 year old and then lay down beside her until she falls asleep. That's been grand but lately she's been wanting me to tell her things, a story, talk to her etc when I'm finished reading and lying with her. The thing is, she's an absolute sponge for information. She wants to hear things all the time and I think it might be worth trying out an audiobook for her to fall asleep to.

I have some books in a Google Books library such as Fantastic Mr. Fox and the Twits. In Audible I have Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Danny The Champion of the World etc. However I think there are not the best for nighttime as they can be read a little too dramatically and often have loud musical introductions to each chapter. Plus, while we have a Google speaker in her room, I don't have an Alexa unit and don't plan on it.

I've had a look at some of the suggestions in the above but they are kinda interactive. She'd really just benefit from something she can listen to, rather than participate in. Some of the above enourage them to meditate, relax, breathe etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Your local library should have a free service called borrow box. You can download audio books from that and out them on whatever player you use or phone/Bluetooth speaker.

They have a great selection from Julia Donaldson, Enid Blyton, Harry Potter and plenty more. Definitely worth looking into

• Administrators Posts: 13,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think BorrowBox was recommended to you before, OP, was it? You really should look into it. Loads of books.

Children's books I suppose by their nature are likely to be read dramatically. Jacqueline Wilson's Hetty Feather Series were a favourite in this house. The 7 year old loved them. I thought some of the themes might be a bit tough for her, but either they went over her head, or she wasn't as sensitive about them as I was!

Another point - The one thing I used to find with my children is: whether or not they settle and fall asleep listening to a story really depends on the child. I had 2 who would nod off listening. And 2 who would be wide awake taking in everything. As you say with your little one - engaged with the story, asking questions, discussing characters, plot points, etc! So reading a story to them was never the picture perfect image you get of the child drifting gently off to sleep whilst you fade the story away!

But definitely try BorrowBox. It's free. And there must be thousands of books on it. You'll surely find something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think Borrow Box was recommended to me, so yep, I'll have a good look at that. You're absolutely right that children's books are dramatic. They are after all designed to be interesting and to keep their attention. I guess I'm just used to reading them to her in a boring voice!

For years she has been fine with going through the pre-bed routine of pj's, toilet, face, hands teeth. Then into the room, a story and then lying down with her to sleep. It's just this week that she's declared that she needs something to do or listen to when lying in bed.

The reason that I'm asking now is that as part of the assessment of needs that we did, the last part was with the psychologist and while these things need to be taken with a pinch of salt, she scored with an IQ of 131. She seems to be the sort of kid who always needs to be doing something. Her mind is always active and she's always looking to be fed information, to be taught about things, to be fed stories, even just to be told the plot of movies we've watched. I have been wondering if we've reached a new stage where her mind is just too restless to try and clear it in preperation for sleep.

Start with BorrowBox. You'll find something that suits her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭fits

I find one of my boys will constantly ask questions some nights and struggle to switch off. I find I have to leave the room now after the story and a chat or he will keep talking :D

Advertisement