Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the new 'Parklet' on Quay Street?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good

I was at it on Saturday, we sat down in the sun to have a tea & coffee we'd just bought and there were plenty of people coming and going. Some of them were just stopping for a few moments for a rest, some of them had coffees or ice creams, some people were having a chat.

I think it's a good thing overall but the finish on it leaves a bit to be desired. Most of the yellow edging is aluminium (I think) but some of it is just roughly painted wood. Not sure if they ran out of materials or the original bits were removed or damaged though.

It's nice to have a seating area that you don't have to pay to use (by making a purchase), maybe a different location would have worked better for it but I'm not familiar enough with the town yet to say where might have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

On the Fence

badly finished bits like this could be a hazard if you tripped onto it, or you could snag your clothes or a dress on these sharp aluminum bits such as this bit :

for wheelchair users there is a ramp but then a high bit of pavement opposite so would make it hard to maneuver , and when on the structure you would not be able to turn around so you would have to come down the ramp backwards.

I could see it becoming an invitation for children to climb up on it and walk all around the yellow ledges and jump on and off it, I dont think its in an ideal place , and finished off very badly in places. I'd love to have an Idea of how much it all costs in building it and putting it in - a fair bit I would say.

Bad

It looks sh1t actually and dangerous and totally out of place! Makes you wonder which new uni grad came up with that and why was it put there!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good

"sh1t" is not really saying much about it, is it the colour, the shape, the materials used? I understand the 'out of place' comment, somewhere a bit more open or a more pedestrianised area would probably have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Good

I like it. There is a lack of public seating in Sligo, this adds to it. I hope more public seating is put in. All there really is in the town is:

Outside Quayside

Along the river, though some of the stone seating was removed, I assume so Fiddlers/Cafes etc could put their tables there.

Outside Johnston's court in Wine St car park.

And that's about it! There is a small green area beside Graham's barbers/opposite Troubador pub, that would be another place, maybe the grass area in Stephen's St car park could be good for a bench, though you would have people drinking there.

Tricky to think of anywhere else they could be added, possibly outside Ulster Bank or along the river at the Quay street car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Latest fad of shoddy pallet-built monstrosities which will double as litterbins/toilets. Will look even worse in a short time if not maintained.

If you want seating, just install park benches, it's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy bee 33

On the Fence

Is it disabled accessible? What if some selfish fucκer parks in front of the ramp?

Can people be trusted to take their own rubbish home?

Good

There is a ramp on the side of it closest to Lyon's cafe alright so it's accessible. I can't remember if the area behind it is marked out with a yellow box or anything but am assuming so to maintain access. The question of rubbish is no different to taking rubbish home from anywhere else but a nearby bin would be helpful alright. Is the parklet intended to be permanent or is it an experiment for the summer?

On the Fence

what about when you are on there with a wheelchair , is it easy to turn around whilst on it ? - and how many wheelchairs can it accommodate , just 1 wheelchair it looks like and no room to maneuver on it once on it so coming down backwards on the ramp?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Good

Are people using it? I passed it this afternoon and it was empty, but in fairness the seats were wet.

• Advertisement

On the Fence

have not seen anyone use it yet every time I have gone past it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Saw it at the weekend but could only shake my head. It looks so out of place and will be unusable most of the year because nobody wants to sit on a cold, wet bench in Ireland when we have a million cafes in the town that you can go to. I really don't understand how it got approval without anyone thinking "It's raining and cold here 8 months per year. Maybe we shouldn't build a permanent structure right beside constant traffic that'll sit empty most of the time?".

Why would someone want to sit there anyway, right next to all the traffic, when 60 seconds away you can be at Rockwood parade beside the river? Ignoring the obvious weather issues it's just a bizarre place to put such a structure. We have the oddest council.

On the Fence

I think you are right - if it had a roof on it to keep people (and the seats) dry that would be something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Maybe not the best location for it

My sincere thanks to you who took the time to respond & vote over the last few weeks.

Nice to see there is some activity here.

In terms of the poll, this does seem to have a very mixed reaction indeed :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Good

I suppose it will come into it's own on warm summer days but there won't be much use for it come November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Good

Looking at the poll and looking at the comments it is clear the moaners are the more vocal, some people positively revel in being miserable.

On the Fence

great , so all people who have an opinion on something and its not a positive opinion are miserable now then? - that's a sweeping statement that ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Slightly over a third of voters think it's good.

Two thirds are split between Bad, Sh*te location or they are on the fence. Obviously there will be more negative posts on the thread when there are more people who dislike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On the Fence

Mod note: So anyone who doesn't share your opinion are moaners and miserable?

Tread carefully mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It looks like part of a module that was on its way to a theme park and fell off the back of a truck and left there. I think it is in the wrong location for a start, it should be somewhere more isolated (I walked past it the other day and could hear the people at it talking). But then if was, it might be used by the day drinkers and others and would just be a place everyone else would avoid. I also think that if anyone other than the council would have put it there, the council would have it removed immediately.

Good

I took this the weekend before last, it was a wet Saturday morning so no one was sitting on it but I think it looks a lot better with the flowers on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ruins the street scape of one of the town’s nicest streets imo. Cheap, nasty, pointy and out of place. Nothing that wouldn’t have been better served with a few strategically placed benches around the town.

Good

I passed by on Sunday afternoon when the sun was beating down and I thought this is it, the perfect weather for the parklet to be in use. As I passed by there were 2 people sitting together, that was all. When I came back the same way a while later there were 2 tourists sitting having ice creams with their bikes near them on it, that's all. Town is quiet enough on Sundays with a lot of things closed but I thought in the warm weather it'd be a good spot to sit. Then again, I didn't sit there myself either 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Good

It's been used so. Result!

Advertisement