Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of old books

Options
  • 09-05-2022 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

We're clearing out a relative's house and none of us live in or near Belfast, where the house is. He has loads of books, far too many to just bring to a charity shop. Does anyone please have any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stick advert up on local free classifieds or Gumtree?

Are there any local 2nd hand book shops who might take them all?

Any chance you might have anything of value? Check before getting rid!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

Thanks, I think there are just too many for a second hand book shop to take. It's a large house with books in every room. I doubt there is anything of value but we probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

If you don't have a shop nearby willing to take a large collection of secondhand (like for example Chapters in Dublin) online would be the best option.

You could try Adverts.ie or ebay.

Maybe Donedeal have a books for sale section?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still think you could put up an advert along the lines of "thousands of free books to collect", someone will come and remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What type of books are they? A local school might be able to take some for their library or store them for sale of work fundraiser.

Or maybe carboot sale yourself?

If they are hobby books , photography for example, a local photography club might have an interest ...same too for fishing/painting/aviation etc while the content might be obsolete people who have an interest in the field might be more than happy to take them off your hands.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm hoping someone knows of a specific place that would take them, in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP google for charity book sales in your area. We have a local school that has a massive charity book sale to raise funds and they take almost any books - but probably not the ones in a suitcase under the bed :-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks, problem is that I don't live in Belfast so hoping someone will just take the lot together.

Advertisement