Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I remove a shower mixer knob?

Options
  • 09-05-2022 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a dripping shower and I checked that the shower head and hose are OK, so I think that probably the cartridge needs to be replaced, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one.

When I remove the small front plate, it just reveals the temperature control screw, and turning it doesn’t loosen or remove the entire knob.

Can anyone advise?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is a cap needs to be removed. It's on the tip of the control knob. A tiny flat head screwdriver or blade will do the job. Once removed you should see a screw. Removing this should allow you to remove the rest of the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 immusic

Hi Sleeper12,

I have removed that but, as described, it just reveals the temperature control screw. Turning it doesn’t loosen or remove the entire cap.

Does it say temperature control screw or are you just assuming that is what it does.

Can you post another photo looking straight at the control

That's what it does. I have used it before when the temperature needed adjustment. It just turns to a certain degree left or right.

I'm not at home at present to photograph it.

Most cartridges look like the one above. The screw that goes into the cartridge usually goes through the cap & into the top of the cartridge. Can you can post a photo of the screw later when you have time

• Advertisement

This is how it looks with the cap off. It can be moved only a small amount in either direction

I see the groove is for a flat head screwdriver. Is there any chance a Philips head would find another screw in the hole in the middle?

The screw in the hole (I couldn't get the camera to pick it up) is flat head and just moves the outer visible part. I don't want to force it too hard in case I wreck it altogether!

The 2 red lines look like a groove for a flat head. Is there another screw inside the red circle?

Yes, that's where the second flat head is. It's all one unit though. I mean it's connected to what you can see at the front (where you put the two red lines) as opposed to being a loose separate screw at the back. The inner screw moves those two outer grooves when it's turned.

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with that shower. I hear you when saying big groove moves when turning screw in red hole. I'm wondering if you got a big flat head, one that fits the groove, would it do anything different if you turned it here instead of inside the hole.

I don't know where I'll get a flat head that big 😄 but I'll give it a go. Thanks for your replies

I made some progress! I managed to remove that temperature control knob and the on/off knob by using a bigger flat head as suggested, but the remainder of the knob won't budge...

Advertisement