Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf MK5 Oil Pressure Light + Loud Noise

Options
  • 07-05-2022 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Had to leave my car in a parking lot due to no garages open or able to help out so I just want to gauge some possibilities so I know what I might come Monday.

Today I drove 25 miles, parked up for a few hours and got back into the car. Drove 2-3 miles to a shop to pick up some food. All good so far! Drove back home but before I reached home I pulled in to get a coffee. So to this point the car is perfect, no noises, losses of power etc.

I come out (from what may turn out to be the most expensive latte ever) sit into my car and turn it on. As I pull away I noticed the car is VERY loud in the engine bay. Almost like a tractor. Within 5 seconds I get the dreaded "STOP" text with the Oil Pressure light greeting me on the dash.

I pulled over, waited a while and checked my oil level - its fine.

Is this RIP my engine? And if so, could I expect to make some small money from scrapping the car.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I wonder if you oil pump is dead of if the oil filter blocked causing oil starvation. Ive heard of this happen if it hasnt been changed in years. Sump oil levels would probably remain ok. Can you open up the oil filler cap and seen if much oil up there in the camshaft area. If the engine can run, there should be a decent wind coming out the cap hole with a spitting of oil in the cam area usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Unfortunately the car is currently parked up 8 miles away so I don't have access until tomorrow. If it was 'just' an oil filter would it be salvagable or is the damage already done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Should be fine, I had the same issue in a Corsa and it was due to a blocked filter in the oil sump. Car would drive fine for a while but oil pressure light would come on and engine would sound like a tractor. Oil level was fine.

Your engine was probably starved of oil momentarily but the car did what it was supposed to do and you stopped driving.

Just get the car recovered to a mechanic and they will diagnose the issue. Don’t drive the car. Not a bad idea to do an oil and filter change too even if its not the oil filter

I have a sneaking suspicion there may be blockage/sludge so could be that alright - if its fixable I'll ask for the full oil and filter change alright 100%.

Will update tomorrow/Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

It should be ok as it sounds like it wasn't driven for long. Id probably get the sump cover taken off to check for high levels of sludge. Should be a very handy job (DIY possibly) with just a gasket to replace.

• Advertisement

Update: Garage called and said they reckon it might have been a faulty sensor. They took it for a couple of spins and all seems normal. I've asked them to service the living balls off the car to check for sludge etc. Must admit this is a huge relief so far, not out of the woods just yet though.

Update #2: Car is back in my hands - oil pressure switch and one terribly needed service later. Thanks for lighting the candles!

Advertisement