Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22mm pushfit pump flexi & Irish Qualpex

Options
  • 07-05-2022 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

All pumps from Screwfix seem to come with 22mm flexi's. Does Irish 21mm Qualpex work with these flexi. If not is there a factory made fitting that will go into the 22mm push end and give me a 21mm connection or do I need to make my own. Previously I have had spare 21mm flexi's from Irish pumps which I was able to screw onto the UK pumps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pumps from Screwfix are for the UK market and not the Irish market. Many actually have no Irish warranty. A Salamander pump with a 5 year warranty here in Ireland has none when purchased from Screwfix.

Depending on the make of the pump you can usually source Irish flexis here in Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Seems your information might be a little out of date, the following text is highlighted in red on the screwfix.ie web page for one of the Salamander pumps.

please note all Salamander pumps must be fitted with the 21mm Irish connections to keep the product warranty valid in the Republic Of Ireland

The download of the product manual states specifically that there is a valid warranty for ROI, so clearly, the situation has changed at some stage.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks for the update Steve. I knew Stuart Turner pumps operated like this as I remember K.Flyer posting about it. It's a recent development for Salamder.

There are still many products sold by Screwfix & B&Q that have no Irish warranty. Aqualisa & Triton products that bypass the Irish agents MT Agencies & Earthridge have no warranty for example

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I too was aware that there are issues with some products, and that there have been issues with some manufacturers seeking to protect their Irish importers, the problem I suspect is that companies like B & Q and Screwfix (both owned by the same parent company) are not small players, which gives them clout when it comes to dealing with suppliers.

The other side of that coin is that for a long time, the Irish end users have been getting a very bad deal on some products, the difference between the price in Ireland and the price in the UK for the identical item could not be justified by exchange rate differences and things like Import duties and VAT, the unfortunate reality was that some suppliers here were taking advantage of a monopoly situation to maintain much higher pricing. The Irish market for many items is too small for there to be multiple suppliers, the down side of that being the way that prices have been held higher.

A very long time ago, before it got complicated by RECI rules and some of the other protectionism schemes, it was significantly cheaper for me to take a trip to the UK by ferry, to bring back a car full of electrical wiring and related fittings to set up a small retail unit than it was to buy the identical items here in Ireland, the prices were so different, and even now, there are some areas where the differences between UK and Irish pricing are hard to justify, and that's before we take into consideration the problems that Brexit has caused on both sides of the Irish Sea.

The next few years are going to be very interesting and challenging, Covid is far from finished with, then there will be the upheaval that's happening in politics added to the already unstable Brexit situation, and the Ukraine effects, let alone the multitude of local issues that are not going away any time soon. I just wish we had some politicians with the wit to actually deal with the issues that are becoming more and more apparent.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I made a few copper adaptors for mine to go from 21mm to 22. Just bits of pipe with a solder join in the middle. The solder join might be hard to source in Ireland but you can get them in UK

• Advertisement
Advertisement