Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 274 - Oliveira misses weight!

Options
  • 06-05-2022 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭

Really shocked by this. He can still fight but he's ineligible for the title if he wins! Would never have predicted this.

He was given an hour before a 2nd weight in and didn't lose an ounce. Must have been a bad cut.

Was really, really looking forward to the card but that's put a bit of a bummer on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely gutted for Oliveria, fought 28 times before he got a title shot and loses his title on the scales over half a pound. He looked dazed on the scales he couldn't get down anymore, bad cut, he's weighed in well under 155 before.

Had form for it before, wonder if there was an issue with one of the supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

On one hand I feel really sorry for him, on the other it’s so unprofessional and a shocking error to make.

Has really taken away from the card.

Should pull him and made Chandler v Justin for the vacant title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Who wins by pulling him and is there any good reason to pull him? Or is it just extra punishment to go along with losing pay and losing his title?

- As fans we lose a fight

- the UFC loses a fight and depending on state laws refunds can be requested if the main event changes (in Nevada at least, not sure on Arizona).

- Gaethje gets fucked as all of his prep is wasted. And he could be getting his title shot against a guy who was lax in his training. Why would he want a change?

- Ferguson loses his fight.

- Chandler would be getting his second title shot, lose again and he's unlikely to get another anytime soon. Why would he take the risk on short notice when he's trained for different match up.

- Oliviera's contract is likely still legitimate since it wouldn't be the commission pulling him.

This has happened before, and the same scenario has played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

I can genuinly never understand a fighter not making weight , now I do say this as a somewhat overweight sofa viewer of sports. But its just so integral to a fighters job its a bit pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Shocked at this

surely if he wins tonight he’ll still get to fight for the vacant belt with a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

He will but major own goal when you're two fights away from reclaiming your own title all going well.

It was a tongue in cheek comment but I’ll play anyway.

1) We lose a fight but gain a legitimate title fight where both fighters can win the belt.

2) Possibly but I don’t care how much money the UFC make or don’t make. I don’t believe many fans would go for a refund if this happened.

3) I don’t know what Justin would make of it but another way to look at it is he would be fighting against a guy he’s already beaten and would be fav against. Most would agree an easier match up.

4) Tony Ferguson would be the one to lose the most. Pay him his show and win money and give him a big fight again very soon.

5) Chandler would take your hand off for a title fight anytime vs anyone.

6) Maybe I’ve no idea about that.

As far as I’m aware this is the first time a fighter has lost his belt on the scale so it’s unprecedented. It has happened for a vacant title which would be quite similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hard to comment on this without knowing all the facts.

There has to be an investigation and the truth needs to come out, I find it too difficult to believe that an experienced fighter like Oliveira, a current world champion, simply had too many calories.

Also curious to know how there was zero difference from his first weight in to the second.

The whole weigh in situation needs updating, there's too much inconsistentcy with it, from the DC fiasco to several more shambolic scenes at weigh ins, this part of the fight business needs upgrading. Wonder would a bigger UFC star suffered the same faith as Oliveira.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cowboy out. Pulled by doctors apparently due to not being able to keep down food post weigh-in.

Hope he is ok but I sure was looking forward to seeing two old school legends face off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Khaos won that fight 29-28 but two judges gave it to Brown 29-28.

Have a couple silly trebles for the last 3 fights now for a bit of interest, round/method bets. Should be a couple of decent fights among them.

One bet gone but holy **** **** what a knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm worried for Tony. I think he should require now. He was our cold for a long time there.

Chandler deserves another title shot, neatly got Oliveira the first time.

Oh sweet lord that was a sick kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Some kick, love to see Chandler v Mcgregor, Chandler would absolutely destroy him

That was the most non event first round of a title fight in history.

Try scoring that.

Jesus this is absolutely dire. Rose could easily be 3 rounds behind already.

What are they doing, this is 15 mins of non engaging tripe.

• Advertisement

4 rounds in I can't see how Rose could have more than one round.

Worst title fight in UFC history.

Beats Anderson v Maia.

Complete shitshow.

Based purely on the fight alone that's one of the least deserved title wins. Only worse I can think of would have been if Namajunas won it.

Shouldn't really be booing the new champ, she was the only one who stepped forward all match.

Rose got what she deserved.

Both of them were garbage.

Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

All I can say about that is that both of them deserved to lose but Esparza deserved to lose less than Namajunas.

Just me or is it weird they haven't really gone on about Olivera being ineligible to keep the title? Kinda important information for a casual tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Oliveira is something else, just an animal - so quick going in for the kill too.

Funny how MacGregor got called out twice tonight, they both want the money and they'd both get the win too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose is my favourite fighter but she absolutely deserved that loss. Hands down the better fighter but at least Carla was trying some moves. Other sw's licking their lips at this. Goddamn disappointing.

Fell bad for Tony but happy for Chandler, what a finish!

Charlie Olives is dangerous man, such a pity about the whole weight thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That was a truly dreadful women's title fight. The corner advice for Rose was mind boggling. The crowd booing proves that what they were doing was right so what exactly was the game plan. I'm glad Rose lost as she was easily the worst of the two.

Savage knock out from Chandler though.

Advertisement