Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting tv bracket to wall.. fail!

Options
  • 06-05-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to put a tv bracket onto a wall but failing terribly at the moment. So I have plugs that are about 1.5 / 1.75 inches long. I have plasterboard, then air gap and then brick wall. I get through the plasterboard fine, nice and neat. I change my drill bit to masonry bit for the brick and change to hammer drill setting. Centerpunch the brick through the hole on the plasterboard, proceed to drill using masonry drill bit and it immediately goes off on random directions, leaving the plasterboard hole in bits and the hole in the brick going at an angle. I cannot find a way to get around this??? HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

There are various slab fixers outside there for plasterboard use. New modern tv’s are quiet light so people are over engineering the fixings.

There will be no one swinging off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Sounds like you're drilling into a cavity block rather than a solid 4 inch block

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks, I’ll have a look for plasterboard plugs. Any recommendations? The TV itself is only 11KG.

There doesn’t look to be any wooden studs behind the plasterboard. I presume the plasterboard is stuck to the brick with adhesive which explains the small airgap between the plasterboard and brick. It’s just when I hit the brick with the drill things get out of control, it’s ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

firstly what drill and bit are you using? mains drill? decent bit? It shouldn't jump too much if the bit is good, it should start cutting and not wander. Is it standard brick behind there or maybe mass concrete?

secondly you need to be careful when you clamp the bracket down not to crush the plaster board, given the size of the bracket this is probably less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is it a variable speed drill? Try going slower snd make sure it’s a good drill bit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Try turning off the hammer action to get the hole started.

Also try using a smaller bit to make a pilot hole first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What about cutting a square pieces of the plasterboard out, nice and neat and try to keep it in one piece. A square piece thats a couple of inches wider than your bracket. Get a piece of plywood the size of the square opening and fix it to the brick/block wall with express nails, double up on the plywood if the gap allows it. Replace the plasterboard, scrim tape and finish plaster, sand it down and paint it. Doesn't have to be a perfect finish as it's hidden behind the TV.

This is what I did with a similar problem to yours, it was an older house and the brick behind was uneven and it was near impossible to get a straight drill into it. A lot more work and materials I know and maybe a last resort but works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

You could try putting masking tape, or similar, onto the brick , start then with a pilot hole, begin drilling without the hammer action. Putting masking tape onto a plastered wall generally works well but not too sure if it will stick to brick. Definately get a small hole drilled before switching to hammer action

Hi, thanks for tips. I’ve put up so many other heavy things in the house with no problems, just not having luck with this wall. I’ve decided to give this a go:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/gripit-tv-clam-plasterboard-fixings-25-x-205mm-4-pack/371hp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭kirving

I have a 40" TV up with 4 Gripit 25mm as above, and 1 big bolt into a batten. I'd be less happy with this solution if if was a pivoting bracket though tbh. I have a Sanus mount too, which was expensive, but very good quality and keeps the TV very close to the wall to limit the amount of torque on a specific area.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/tv-and-audio-accessories/tv-furniture-and-wall-mounts/tv-wall-brackets/sanus-super-slim-tilting-wall-mount-for-51-80-flat-panel-tvs-vlt16-b2.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As long as the TV mount holds it flush to the wall and it's not a levered one they will work no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

Cutting the plasterboard out and mounting a wooden plate is a really good idea.

Getting the visibility to see why your drill is skidding is too.

I mounted a set of shelves to a similar wall in January using a set of Corefix fixings.

Very impressed! The steel collars go into the front of the plug and bridge all the way into the blockwork.

About €10 for a set of four.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3X2PY4

Thanks for help and great tips. I finally went with the Gripit fittings, 6 of them in total. So now the TV is finally up about a week now and not going anywhere!

Advertisement