Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a handbasin tap?

Options
  • 06-05-2022 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

The hot tap on the bathroom handbasin needs replacing but several suppliers I've contacted will only sell them as a pair. This is extremely wasteful as I am unlikely to ever have need another one.

Does anyone know a supplier that will sell one tap? Or, if anyone out there needs a bathroom handbasin tap, we could form a syndicate and buy the pair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Sorry, but I have never seen taps being sold singly.

How expensive is this tap? If you have to buy them as a pair, would you not upgrade both taps anyway (and have them the exact same)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

It's the waste that is annoying and even if I bought two I would still end up throwing away a perfectly good tap. I fear it is just another marketing racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

In your particular case, yeah, it seems wasteful. But I don't think there is necessarily a conspiracy behind it. 99.9% of the time, people will want taps in pairs, so it just makes sense to package them in pairs (and reduce packaging waste).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

*If* the tap can be repaired, it may satisfy you. You may be able to get inserts singly (there are a few different types).

Woodies have common types in pairs, but a plumbing shop will have them singly, eg.:

https://www.woodies.ie/replacement-traditional-tap-spindle-set-1-2-1061217

Thanks but unfortunately it is beyond repair due to my own heavy hand when tightening the body cover yoke.

• Advertisement

There is a trend against fixing things and just buying new stuff which is shortly coming to an end the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Buy the pair, replace the broken one and put the other aside for when you break the cold tap. Beat the conspiracy by being prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Buy a pair of quarter turn taps. They turn on & off more easily & you will feel you are getting better value. You can turn on & off with just one finger.

Even if you buy a regular pair you should replace both & not just one.

I would feel ripped off as I have no trouble turning a tap. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement