Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP, Mesh or old routers to eliminate WiFi deadspots

Options
  • 04-05-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi lads, I'm looking for some recommendations for how to eliminate WiFi deadspots and whether I should be considering Poe access points, mesh e.g. deco or old wireless routers set to bridge mode to compliment a fritzbox 7350 modem/router and 1Gb FFTH.

For context, my place is a 1800sq ft dormer and I have an 8 port Poe switch.

Ease of installation points to POE WAP if I could get away with 1 attic mounted upstairs centrally. I haven't had or configured a standalone WAP before though. Given that this is an easier install is there anything else to consider e.g. interference, ease of configuration, brands to go for?

Mesh seems more straightforward to configure but would need at least 2 units with an Ethernet backhaul and their own power supplies.

Finally there are 2 old routers, a Zyxel one and a Netgear DGND3700 that could be bridged. They too would need Ethernet cabling and own power sockets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My go-to would be POE APs. In saying that, why not run some tests that don't actually cost you money initially? Why not test the Netgear router where you're eyeing up an AP at the attic. Just disable DHCP etc, recreate the WLANs from downstairs and see how it works for starters. In the meantime you may as well run some eth to the locations you think you'll need it, there's probably no avoiding that if you're going to rectify your issues properly.

Another simple option and I'm not really a fan but there are powerline adapters that effectively work as APs.

As for questions about interference, it can always be a factor with wireless whether that be APs or Mesh. You won't really know until you test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Whatever you set up install the Unifi 'WifiMan' APP on an Android (not iPhone) to test your wifi coverage and make sure you have a minimum of -67bBm everywhere (or see guide below).

SIGNAL STRENGTH QUALITY TO EXPECT and REQUIRED LEVEL FOR

-30 dBm Maximum signal strength, you are probably standing right next to the access point / router.

-50 dBm Anything down to this level can be regarded as excellent signal strength.

-60 dBm This is still good, reliable signal strength.

-67 dBm This is the minimum value for all services that require smooth and reliable data traffic. VoIP/VoWi-Fi Video streaming/streaming (not the highest quality)

-70 dBm The signal is not very strong, but mostly sufficient. Web, email, and the like

-80 dBm Minimum value required to make a connection. You cannot count on a reliable connection or sufficient signal strength to use services at this level.

-90 dBm It is very unlikely that you will be able to connect or make use of any services with this signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Cheers for this info. I have WiFi analyzer on my phone so will do a walk around in a bit

Advertisement