Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to Air vs Air to Water

Options
  • 04-05-2022 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭

Hi

We're almost ready to start a new build (located in Mayo) and we're looking at what heating system to put in. We had originally planned to install A2W and UFH as that seems to be the standard these days. However, the engineer mentioned A2A as an option to consider yesterday - says it's not too widely used here yet but is in other countries and has the advantage of providing cooling as well as heating. It would also come in a bit cheaper than A2W and UFH.

Anyone here have an opinion on what you'd choose for a new build? I've searched old threads but they mainly seem to be for retrofits rather than new builds.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would wonder about what the units will look like in your brand new home. Make sure you are happy with that. Engineer can advise on the options I’m sure

Presumably the engineer is happy the units can deliver adequate heat.

A possible benefit from these units in Mayo is their dehumidifying effect. This should be beneficial for the house. But it depends what else is planned in terms of mechanical heat recovery ventilation, etc. Again you would have to ask the engineer what he / she thought.

If I were building new I would be inclined to have UFH under the ground floor slab but this is not necessarily the best idea

If the engineer is happy it will suit I think it could be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Also bear in mind that you need DHW which a A2W will provide quite economically up to 40C and you can boost the cylinder weekly to 60c for legionella protection. Ask your engineer if a DHW unit can incorporated in the A2A unit which I'm sure it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have air to air in two rooms. I actually got them for the air conditioning rather than the heat as I still have gas ch.

Air to air provides great ac but I was genuinely blown away from the heating aspect of it. Putting on the heat pump and gas at the same time in a 22f X 15f room, the heat pump has the room very warm before the rads start to get hot.

My wife doesn't like the heat pump much because she finds it makes the air stuffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Agree, will get very rapid heat up with A2A as its forced air circulation, UFH or even rads that are adequately sized for 35/40C flow temps will take a long time to get rooms up to temperature so are more suited to 24/7 operation.

Advertisement