Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance - mileage and area of work

Options
  • 03-05-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I live and work in a different county. And it's a 200 km return journey.

My colleague told me today that I should get "business class" insurance, otherwise my car insurance would be void as I am living in a different county and working in a different county. Is this true?

Also, say I have highlighted that I do 25,000 km annually when purchasing the insurance but ended up doing 30,000 km. Is the car insurance still valid in this case? 🤔

Thanks! 😊

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you just go from your home to work or do you do work related journeys with the car, for example off-site sales or site visits?

The mileage should roughly match, you are only out about 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭cml387

I've never heard such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Living and working in different counties is fine, and doesn't require extra insurance.

Do you transport equipment or goods for your employer? Other than your laptop/incidental items?

If so, you would need business insurance for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Your class of use will depend on what you answer to their questions. Most people have social domestic and pleasure with commuting on their policies and they ask your annual mileage to rate you on.

then there are other classes of use like soliciting orders or delivering goods(like pizza etc) before going into full commercial insurance.

then stuff like laptops gps phone etc would fall under specified items or inclusions ( some people even get trailer cover under that )

And the living and working in different counties stuff is irrelevant once u give an honest estimate of your mileage).

The where you keep your car question is one you can be stung on if you say it’s kept in a nice area and ur actually in some mad max wasteland.And even then I doubt that’s ever even been challenged by an insurer in Ireland yet.

TLDR ur friend is talking muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

so by your colleagus logic, if you lived 200meters from a county boundary and worked in the neighbouring village you'd need buisness cover?

what a load of garbage!!!

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 627 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Closed this by mistake. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Unless you're carrying goods for work or travelling from site to site, not home to office, your colleague is a moron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I do only home to work journeys. No off-site works.

I don't carry any work related items on the car with me.

So the 20% extra mileage is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I suppose he was concerned that I am doing 200 km a day alone for coming to work and raised this issue.

But its clear he is wrong. I will update him tomorrow 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't see it being an issue, next time around put in the new estimate at +20% of what you have entered now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement