Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolltag.ie

Options
  • 03-05-2022 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Used them for years, had paid €30 Euro upfront for a PrePay Tag, last year the tag stopped working and they sent a replacement. They didn't ask for the old one back. All good or so I thought...

The problem, they treated the replacement as 'an act of goodwill' in their words... but didn't inform me that they had in fact replaced my tag with a 'pay per use tag'. This added 10% to every toll journey.

When I noticed and asked that they cancel the tag as it was no longer in the car now, they charged me €20 for a lost tag, without any notice, to the card registered on my account.

The 'customer service' response when I queried this was... "There should have been a charge of €30 for the new tag .... I have charged you the €20 instead of the €30." This is patently untrue, as the tag they sent was a free pay per use tag (an entirely different package with 10% charge as stated above).

1. If i had agreed to the 10% fee, or been offered an alternative that would be fine, but I didn't.
    2. If they had sent me terms and conditions or any information that they had 'signed me up' (misnomer) for a new plan and I had agreed, that would be fine. It isn't.

Worse, they don't seem to know that this is bad practice. Red flag.

I'd recommend avoiding any company that holds your card details and uses them in this cavalier way. Not acceptable behaviour.

Odd that we live in an environment where even basic weekly shopping online is a pain with verification of purchases and a company can take funds from your card with impunity and unapologetically

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Out of interest, why did you go with these instead of e-flow in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Garrett68

Frankly, I can't remember. i think because my wife uses parkmagic and that's the same company.

Plus she didn't want a monthly charge as she doesn't use the tolls as often as I do.

I use eflow on my car for work and it is straightforward, no issues, no complaints with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’m using their 10% account too (4 tags) cos I often wasn’t using them at all for months at a time, it worked out cheaper that way. Find them pretty decent, no problems with tags or payments & their app is great for changing car/card details.

Be aware there's no way of simply deactivating a tag within their site.

Plus, you apparently are expected to return the tag or you will be charged, even though you have been paying per toll.

in my case as stared I had paid €30 for the initial tag up front.

The test of a company is when something goes wrong in my opinion. So good luck with them, I hope you have a good experience. As stated above, taking a card payment with no warning is a red flag.

(eflow by the way has zero problem with changing cars, etc and I'm not paying an additional 10% for every toll with that one).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Are you paying eFlows monthly fees for tags on the account? I think it’s €1 (+vat) per month per tag at the moment?

Choose the account (& company) that works out cheapest for you. For me, it’s tolltag.ie & their 10% account.

• Advertisement

Obviously yes choose the appropriate to your needs. And be aware that a 20 euro charge imposed after 12 months = €1.67 per month, should the same happen to you.

You're not saying it's okay to be hit with an unexpected charge and have it taken from your account without notice, are you?

My post is about poor practice in billing and a breach of trust, just to be clear about that.

I think it is a relevant factor in choosing a supplier in any area.

Advertisement