Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't use Word without WiFi

Options
  • 01-05-2022 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Now this is a dodgy copy of microsoft word, which I assume are common enough. The previous dodgy copy lasted for all of a few weeks, until the same dude gave me another dodgy copy. I can't use word with the WiFi being on. When I try to open a word doc with the WiFi on it will cause problems. Then when I go back to that document once the WiFi is back on, it will lose its name and just be called 'document 1'. I'll then have to give it a new name when saving it.

I also get the below display every time I open word with WiFi and have to click 'close'.

I know it may be about time I paid for word, but just interested how it is I can use word with WiFi and not without. I thought it would be the other way around.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Stop buying software a dodgy dude and stop asking for help to break the law. Go buy an up to date version of the software from a reputable vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Download Libre Office suite, it's free and compatible with MS word. i'm using it for years and no one ever had issues opening my documents on Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

+1 to LibreOffice.

Open source, and safe.

Here's a link - https://www.libreoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

It's been said already that if you use it, you should get a legitimate copy for yourself or your family. The opportunities for exploitation are rife with dodgy copies of software. The reasons you're seeing those messages are to due to the telemetry built into the product. Each launch is recorded and sent to MS. They'll have collected information about the computer you're using, specs, and versions and the delay in activation. If that sounds a little big-brother to you, then that's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's always a good idea to source your software from dodgy individuals. They're less likely to give you software with malware installed compared to the official sources. It's not as if you probably have passwords or personal details on your computer anyway.

As someone else said above libreoffice (or openoffice if it iis still running.). Or even google docs.

I think even Office 365 allows for free basic online accounts or something. I had a subscription on Office 365 for one month once because I needed to use MS Office stuff for a specific thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Oh right, but why does word keep allowing me to use it if they know it's not activated? But what would Microsoft realistically do to people such as myself? Stalk them?

Well I didn't know he was dodgy. I knew I was disappointed that I wouldn't have MS on my new hard drive. I wasn't expecting it but when he was showing me the updated PC for the first time, he said "I don't know how that word got on it". I quizzed him a little further and he said "look I said I'd throw it on there too for you... it's technically illegal so don't say anything". I kind of assumed it was a harmless enough thing that's done quite a lot. I presume most PC repair places could do this if they wanted to? About a week later I was getting notifications saying that I'd only so many days until my MS was going to expire. He only then revealed that it was a dodgy copy that he'd given me. The new dodgy copy he gave is the one I currently have and it's been going since October. It doesn't seem to have an expiry date!

Right so you know full well that it is illegal and ye you persist in asking us to help you do something illegal..... As I said, go and buy a proper code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

i only surprised this thread still not closed after 2 weeks...

No no, I was just telling more of the back story... and would like to know more about that sort of thing in order to know whether if the guy I dealt with is actually dodgy! There's lots of things that are illegal that are common place... like these X96 TV boxes for example. Anyway, I've downloaded the libreoffice since.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I guess I'll move over to that. It feels cheap though, and will take a bit of getting used to. I still can't believe how much it costs to buy MS!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Top tip - if when excel breaks your file and won't open it anymore use Libreoffice to read it.

I've had problems with that. It now crashes every time I open it.

I'm afraid to click on 'discard'. Will that delete the document?

The PC guy who gave me a new hard drive said that there was no way I could have it on the new hard drive. Come to think of it, I still have the old hard drive... as I got it free in college. Is there anyway I could transfer MS 2013 from that?

Is your college account still active / does it have office license.

You wont be able to "transfer" software - fresh install needed, but you can activate and use it if account & license still there

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Thanks,

I finished in that college in 2016. Some guy in the department who I didn't even meet put MS on my PC. I never got anything to do with a password or anything like that. So my guess would be as good as yours. If it were possible I presume the PC repairs guy would have thought of that. Maybe I could ask the college?

Got this today. Does this mean they're closing in?!

MS crap, means nothing. You can proceed or skip( it will return and nagg again)

Just rang the college. They said the office 365 is only valid while you're in college. Surprised it wasn't set to terminate after a given period of time. If was still using my old hard drive it would still be working. I think I'll have to buy the bloody thing. LibreOffice isn't a touch on word.

What's the best way of buying it? There's all sort of google searches that say I can get it for €18, but it's €150 on the MS website.

Are these all scams or what? Is there any way around the full €150.

Maybe free office is more to your liking: https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

• Advertisement

It's not that I'm unaware of alternatives. I'm trying to use Libre at the moment. It doesn't seem a touch on word!

he's not much of a pc repairman if he can't make a dodgy word work. not that i condone dodgy copies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Microsoft365 is €10 a month or €99 a year. You can share it with 5 other people if you know others who will share the cost. I pay it with my Three phone credit. Each person/account also get 1TB of storage.

You will get all updates and support from Microsoft too.

Thanks. I hate this continual payment idea... you end up paying a fortune.

Paying for software is as paying for anything else , for milk if you like. They sell product you want to use. milk is milk / price is the price - don't like it don't have to buy.

What i dislike with subs is that provider will nagg you for a life time if you decide to let your sub cease. Further more they will feed your mail with ton of junk, their own and from "partners"... unless you fit them with "once of" account, but that has its own downsides...

Advertisement