Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography and CSPE as teaching subjects

Options
  • 01-05-2022 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

Curious if anyone has any insight on going forward in post-primary teaching with the above subjects? I'm considering starting a PME course in the next year (Hibernia or NUIs - not sure yet...depends on finances and work schedule), but really struggling over the decision. I love teaching - have been a part-time TA at 3rd level for 5+ years - and love the interactive and pedagogic process. I'm aware that my subjects are not the most dominant so my reservations are based on that more than anything. There's the obvious employment security concerns as well, but I'm more than willingto put the work in. I'm also working full-time in a local authority, and have real security with the job - but really dislike it and cannot foresee myself being happy in it going forward. My privileged position is not lost on me, and I'm fully aware of how lucky I am to have a permanent gig. But I'm 41 and feel that if I don't make the jump I'll regret it...just have major concerns about being able to secure employment once I qualify.

Any advice or comments will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement