Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV for streaming from enigma2

Options
  • 30-04-2022 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi

I have an OS Mega and am streaming from it to my Android TV (Philips about 3-4 years old) on an app called Dream player which I got from the Play store.

All well so far!

I am looking at buying a new TV (for a different room) and when I go to the shop they tell me that none of the currently available TVs have the Play store so I will not be able to download an app to view the stream! All the manufacturers are restricting to a number of apps that they approve! this seems like a seriously retrograde step in usability over the last few years!

If this correct? are there apps that I can view streams (from OpenWebIF) with a good interface (wife friendly) on currently available TV's?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe on some TVs this might be the case, but the likes of Samsung/Sony/LG etc. (or anything running Google TV) there should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Get a Chromecast with Google TV. Then install any apps you want.

I've a relatively modern smart tv. I 100% use the Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

What you were told isn't true, but they were possibly trying to indicate that app selection may be restricted?

I have a 2021-model Sony TV running Android TV, and I also have a Nvidia Shield. Both have the play store, but both are missing the option to install apps that the other one has, so there does seem to be a bit of curation going on.

In general I would recommend an external player (such as the Shield). There is only one Android TV app that comes to mind which is not officially available for it (Now TV), but in general it's a more flexible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Thanks, after a bit of research it appears that the salesman I met was trying to sell me a smart TV without Android and say that it was Android and there is no play store available!

Advertisement