Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease almost up, agent not getting in tounch

Options
  • 30-04-2022 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all, my lease is up on the 9th of May and the agent still hasn’t contacted me yet to renew it (annually) as for the last 13 years.

Usually, he would send me the lease by post at the beginning/middle of April. I would like to ask you if the landlord has the right to evict me at the end of the last signed lease.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You have what is called a Part 4 lease and can continue as you are. They would have to give you lengthy notice. https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/security-of-tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

First of all, you don’t need a lease to continue renting the property.

The LL can’t evict you at the end of the lease. You will also be on a Part IV tenancy, although you would need to work out how many years into the current Part IV you are (you will have had several).

As part of a Part IV tenancy a tenant has an entitlement to remain in the dwelling for up to six years and the landlord can only terminate on limited grounds.

In the event that the LL was going to end the tenancy they would also need to give 224 days notice.

There are some other nuances, but the above covers the main parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

Thank you very much for your answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

A lease is likely to disimprove your legal rights, or rather increase your legal obligations towards the landlord. You are protected by the residential tenancies Act 2014 as amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The terms of the existing lease continue to apply when a tenant remains in the property after the lease has expired. The O/P should have given notice to the landlord of their intention to remain in the property on the expiry of the lease. The only difference not having a new lease makes is that the O/P will not be bound by the expiry date of new lease and can leave any time they want subject to notice. This is a very minor theoretical advantage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement