Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching Plastic Corrugated Roofing sheets to a timber Frame ? Screws and method

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Fixings look good, just select a suitable bit for pre-drilling. Practice if you can to get hang of drlling to prevent bit slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

As above, plus be careful when driving in the screws, very easy to overdo it and deform the peaks of the corrugations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

These are the ones I used, worked really well. Just make sure you use the correct tip and don't over tighten

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭skilachi

I have a couple of packs of them if you need. How many would you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

I built a greenhouse outa the stuff. To fit the corriguate you need:

Plastic caps AND SPACERS to go underneath the corriguate so it dosnt overtighten, otherwise it WILL CRACK.

Fix thru the TOP of the ridges not in the valleys. (better seal, less likely to leak or have crud building up.

Drill all the holes in the corriguate FIRST, and either have it upside-down, or have a piece of scrap 2x1 behind it, otherwise it WILL CRACK

Check the diameter of the screws, and drill the holes in corriguate 2mm bigger, to allow the corriguate to move slightly, otherwise it WILL CRACK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

thanks for the offer I got some in screwfix ill see how i get on

Thanks for your advice !

Just to clear up , I am putting a metal washer underneath the corrugate sheet and the plastic cap is on the screw above the corrugate right?

Fixing through the top of the ridges and not down in the valleys , will this not totally deform the roofing? I mean wont it squash it down whereas the valleys are already in contact with the timber below the sheet?

Did you use a drill or could I hand screw the screws into the timber? Did you need to make pilot holes in that timber for your screws? Thanks I hope to not shatter this roofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

I used special screws/washer-cap and plastic spacers. Close-ups below! Got em on ebay or amazon 10yrs ago. (Only have a handful of spares left)

The plastic spacers prevent the deformation of the poly, unless you go gorilla-mode when driving the screws. I skipped the spacers on every second screw cause I was extra-carefull with the screwdriver (and a bit of a tight-arse TBH)

Pilot-holes will depend on how chunky/long your screws are, the thickness of the timbers and how close to the edges of the timber you need to go.

I had the timber 'joist' spacing caclulated very accuratly so the poly-ridges would line up with the exact middle of the timbers.

Thanks a million for putting up those pictures Zardaz, all so clear now.

So those Plastic spacers that go beneath the sheet of corrugate , did they come with those screws or were they something you picked up separately , do those spacers have a special name or something that I can search for?

I got these screws  https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hardened-steel-roofing-screws-4-x-60mm-20-pack/50983#product_additional_details_container

But they don't have that plastic spacer for the screw unfortunately and may be a bit short if I'm going to space them out so much.

I notice you painted your timber , was that treated wood you used and did you have to let it cure 0utside for a few months or did you just paint straight away?

Thanks a million for putting up those pictures Zardaz, all so clear now.

So those Plastic spacers that go beneath the sheet of corrugate , did they come with those screws or were they something you picked up separately , do those spacers have a special name or something that I can search for?

I got these screws https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hardened-steel-roofing-screws-4-x-60mm-20-pack/50983#product_additional_details_container

But they don't have that plastic spacer for the screw unfortunately and may be a bit short if I'm going to space them out so much.

I notice you painted your timber , was that treated wood you used and did you have to let it cure 0utside for a few months or did you just paint straight away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement