Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat gingivitis maine coon

Options
  • 29-04-2022 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Got a new cat marine coon, discovered it has gingivitis, treated with antibiotics didn't work. Vet said has to have teeth.

Anyone any better answers

Best Answer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you get another opinion from a different vet, maybe in another town?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Better answers than... a vet?

Uh, no. In fact I would tend to agree that a cat does indeed have to have teeth. They're one of the handiest things a carnivore can have tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm going to assume you mean have the teeth pulled?

OP, it's impossible for us to know the answer to that without being a vet ourselves and seeing the animal. Has the vet explained why a thorough cleaning under anaesthesia can't be performed, or if there's stomatitis involved?

There's no harm in seeking a second opinion from another vet if you're really not sure, but I'm afraid we can't help from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

However someone must had a similar experience. Neither vets in the town seem maine coon previously.

Only looking for a direction. My choices are pull teeth out or as been suggested to put down.

Someone must have had expierience, like to know how it played out. A cat without teeth sounds like not a great life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Gingivitis (regardless of breed) is usually treated with a very thorough teeth clean under anaesthetic. That it hasn't and your only options are removal or euthanasia, means there is something severe going on, in which case random people's experiences are irrelevant. You would need to either speak to your vet again to get a clearer explanation, or seek the opinion of another vet.

Cats without teeth is obviously not ideal but they can adjust with eating wet food and some can even go back to eating dry food eventually.

Advertisement