Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door neighbor has started a "pile".

Options
  • 28-04-2022 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Our house is on a country road. Next house is a large new house with substantial gardens. There is a light wire fence left by the builder between the two. Neighbour has planted a row of trees a few yards in from the wire.

He cuts his grass himself then dumps it in a pile behind his trees against the separating wire. There is also clippings and some rubble and soil.

This is year one and looking at the size of the pile now would hate to think how big it will grow over the coming years. Neighbour on the other side of me said he hopes I like rats and wasps. Said it's more or less a compost heap.

Should I say something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

What do u do with your grass cuttings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Point out it will probably kill off the trees.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

BIL is a gardener, cuts our grass and takes away the cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Grass clippings, rubble and soil are not going to attract rats or wasps. If you are worried about the neighbour encroaching on to your plot, then politely raise the issue with him. It sounds like a very minor issue at present at least.

The surface of the pile would seal over like a thatched roof, making it a lovely and cozy home for rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Christ you should see my pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He could use the contents of the heap as a mulch.

As long as he is keeping to his own property you are probably best not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It'll rot down over the course of the winter, saying that grass cuttings are not good fertiliser for trees

It will kill trees by suffocating the roots. Its much the same as waterlogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Wasn't sure exactly what it did but I see in a local estate here where they started dumping the clippings around the base of a few trees scattered around the estate, their long dead now because of the clippings

• Advertisement

You can mulch around the base provided you don't over do it. I take a "pile" to be over doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Put up a block or concrete wall between the gardens. That way at least you dont have to look at the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

ah now, this is a wind up is it? Your neighbour just has a compost heap. it’s a sustainable way to garden. Better than burning the place down anyway. If he is mixing grass with soil it will break down and he can reuse it.

As long as there isn’t meat in it, it won’t attract rats more than anything else in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's the other neighbour i'd be watching

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do you mean suffocating the roots? they're underground anyway - starve them of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The answer is to just talk with your neighbour.

Here some people say it will attract and others say it won't. So if its an annoying issue for you just speak to the neighbour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The answer is to just talk with your neighbour.

and suggest that he uses a mulcher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

Planting trees too deep does damage them, trees top roots are usually exposed, it ring-barks them.

However, this doesn't seem to be happening, this is just the neighbour composting his clippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

it's his land i wouldn't expect a friendly response if you start ranting about rats and wasps, maybe he plans to move it, build a wall if it bothers you that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could plant a hedge on your side of the wire fence.

It will hide the "pile" and the wire fence.

With the neighbour's trees growing behind your hedge it will look quite attractive in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It reads as though your neighbour is throwing his grass clippings on his land?

If so. That's pretty normal. The heap will not griow really as it'll constantly compost down. If you stick a bit of a hedge your side of the fence you'll not need to look at it, if it's bothering you

The problem with putting a hedge on the other side of it is the hedge will probably die when its poisoned and smothered by what is in effect the silage effluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is a mad thread. If this is the only problem you have then consider yourself a lucky person.

'your next door neighbour does not own a massive rubbish dump that's on fire so count your blessings'.

Advertisement