Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi boiler and low-temperature radiators

Options
  • 28-04-2022 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

We are doing a replump and thinking of putting in a gas combi boiler. We also have an eye on the future and so are planning to put in the wider pipes and low temperature radiators that a heat pump would need. Thought process is to be heat pump ready should we go that way in the future. We are currently a C2 so some upgrades still needed around the house before we are insulated enough.

Two questions:

Does it matter where we locate the combi boiler (we are thinking hot air press, upstairs) if we switch in the future?

Can a gas combi boiler work with low temp rads?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Taking out your hot water cylinder & putting in a combi boiler with the plan to move to heat pump seems like a waste of time to me. You will need to install a hot water cylinder for the heat pump. Why not go for the heat pump now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elcummino

Thanks Sleeper 12.

Mainly the cost of the other upgrades to improve the air tightness of the house and get it to a B2.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

An air to water heat pump could bring you up to a B2.

I agree with sleeper, doing it bit by bit is a waste of time. get your insulation sorted before your heating system.

If you need to do a replumb consider using high-temperature rads but size them appropriately for a low-temperature heating system, stick in TRV's to control the output. For an air to water system I think one loop needs to be open but your plumber can advise on that. Just advise him of your plan to upgrade in the future.

Advertisement