Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist won't help me.

• 24-04-2022 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Basically the title.

I recently got implants fitted in my lower left side which has made my tongue a lot more aware of the opposing teeth. 

There is a very noticeable ridge (to me) between a metal filling and the crown that is extremely aggravating to my tongue and has even resulted in me getting sores on said tongue.

It is made worse by the fact that food gets stuck and I have to use my tongue repeatedly to dig it out.

I have attempted to show him on two separate occasions and he is insisting that he can't see any ridge or sharpness and is refusing to touch it. 

On my most recent visit I even went to the trouble of putting in some temp filling into the gap so he could clearly see where I was feeling the sharpness by simply taking it out but he refused to even try.

Ill admit that as someone diagnosed with OCD this probably bothers more than the average bear but it doesn't take away from the reality that it is driving me crazy.

I am seeing him again at the end of the week and trying to figure out what to say to him without coming across as insane or worse an enraged bull.

Any advice please?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Implants emmerge from a more narrow base than teeth and there is often compromise on shape and extra cleaning burden.

Either live with it or ask them to be remade but expect expense as it will cost the dentist money have them remade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

go to a different dentist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Get a second opinion from another dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nogiggity

The problem is not the implants. They feel totally fine. The issue is that it has made me more aware a sharp bit of the tooth that sits next to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Maybe this will not be the most helpful answer, but in my experience, your tongue will get used to it.

I have had large fillings breaking off (with very sharp ridges as a result) and being restored some time later, had teeth extracted and implants placed.. the first couple of days when such events occur , it feels weird, but after a few days your tongue will adapt to the "new normal", including not getting sores anymore.

What I don't understand is that the dentist couldn't explain this and put you more at ease, he/she seems to disregard your anxiety. Not a good trait for a dentist in my opinion. I know if I had this issue, my dentist would show more empathy and would do anything to put me at ease.

• Advertisement
Advertisement