Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia recommended

Options
  • 23-04-2022 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Guess I'm just a little confused here?

Everything I read online says when your dog's quality of life decreases, it's time to say goodbye. When they stop eating, have pain, etc.

My little lady doesn't have any of these. She's eating, happy, playing, enjoying life as normal.

But she's had seizures. She's had 3, the last one was a few days after being prescribed Keppra and despite 6 doses, was more severe than previous ones.

The vet said there's no point in an MRI and after some tests, said she has a brain tumor. No reason to disbelieve that.

But she's said we should be making the decision to put her to sleep within 5ish days. She also put her on a second epilepsy med.

It just seems extremely quick? Is it normal or common to recommend euthanasia BEFORE any decline in quality of life? The vet confirmed she's not in pain, she's happy etc. She recommended euthanasia asap on the basis that her seizures will get worse - but that even if she has none in the next week, that's still too long to leave her basically? Just seems unusual when so far her quality of life is okay?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hard decision OP.

Personally I would wait. If she's showing no signs of being ready to go I would be very reluctant.

Vets base recommends on a few minutes in a clinical setting but rarely see the animal in 'real' life.

My experience has been they will let you know.

Have you tried CBD? I know of some dogs it really helps also others it doesn't. Maybe worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Thanks so much for your reply! I've never actually been in a position of needing to euthanise, that's why I'm so confused because she's not reacting like a dog that needs to go. As a family, we're torn with myself and a sibling questioning the idea of waiting BECAUSE she's happy, pain free, eating and loving her walks. On the other side we've two insisting we do what the vet says.

I don't dispute the brain tumor diagnosis, because the vet was very matter of fact in explaining what she tested for, what it showed, etc. But I truly don't understand the rush to euthanise unless it gets bad.

The vet DID say it would get bad quickly - within 24 hours - but it's been 36 with no seizures, let alone bad ones.

I wouldn't hurry. I'll always remember as a kid a wee terrier got mangled, could see his lung and ribs. Vet said he'd be a goner without surgery (1500 in maybe 1996). Took him home, couple of days later he was up and about, back to himself within a week. If he'd gone to the vet in the last 5 years of his life (lived to 19) he probably would have been written off as well but he had a great wee life.

Take what the vet said on board but it's your pet, try and read them. And all the best, welling up here thinking about the couple pups that had to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

"She's happy, pain-free, eating and loving her walks" that's good enough for me and should be good enough for a lot of people, vets or not, leave her to enjoy it while she can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Good friend was in exactly the same position, brain tumour and seizures. Her girl told her when she was ready. It did happen suddenly but they got 6 more months together and lived life to the full.

My own girl had a liver tumour. Again, over the course of a weekend she went down hill fast so we knew - but that was 18 months after vet wanted me to PTS. She was nearly 17 and the weekend before was chasing tennis balls into the sea with my grandkids.

I sometimes think if some vets ruled the world we'd all be PTS for being old or infirm on the grounds we'll get very sick later and die anyway. To spare us the suffering like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think that last line is unfair. The final seizure from a brain tumour in dogs can be very traumatic for owners to watch, and there can be little to no warning and a small chance of getting veterinary assistance. That is why the vet is recommending euthanasia sooner rather than later. With some diseases, there is some progression and time to make a decision. With other diseases, decline can be very sudden and rapid with no time to make a decision before QOL is compromised or an unpleasant passing occurs. Better a week too soon than a minute too late.

Vets, in general, are the ones trying to tell owners that old age in itself is not a disease. A lot more factors come into play for the PTS decision than just that. Vets don't want to euthanise animals unnecessarily, they go into that profession to save them. However, they also recognise that there are things worse than a peaceful death and sometimes saving them means letting them go. Do they get it wrong at times? Yes, they're human and sometimes animals (and people) surprise even the biggest experts. It would be unfair to ask them to make recommendations based on a small chance over the more realistic expectations.

OP, the decision is yours.

Have you spoken to the vet about what the long term progression is expected to be? Will it be a slower decline in QOL with seizures getting worse as they go, or is your pup's health essentially a ticking time-bomb with a rapid drop expected? It may not be a case that your dog will get the chance to slow down on doing the things she loves and given the recommendation you got, I'd be willing to bet it's the latter that your vet is expecting.

There's also no harm in getting a second opinion from another vet.

Thank you.

This makes a lot of sense added to what the vet said, thank you for explaining things more clearly than the vet had. It clarifies what I was told tbh.

She's not had any more seizures yet, but has become very sleepy and her legs are wobbly this morning. We think it's time unfortunately.

Thank you all for your help.

She passed very peacefully this afternoon with all of her favourite people in the vet with her, petting her and saying goodnight.

No more seizures but overnight her back legs became very weak and she became very lethargic.

She spent the morning being fed all of her favourite foods, getting lots of cuddles and play time and then we said goodbye. She smiled the whole time in the vets, usually she despises the vet but she was calm and happy. I think she knew.

Thank you so much for all your comments, help and advice. In the end, we knew. She let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh you poor thing OP. You made the right decision and what a wonderful way for her to go - spoiled and loved all day with you by her side. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Whatever you do make sure you are there at the end as they look for you when they are getting PTS, be the last person she sees its not that hard really i have done it more than i ever wanted to but i never let them down. , I always stayed with tears rolling down my cheeks do the last act of kindness when the time comes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement