Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPVC Hinges

Options
  • 23-04-2022 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Quick one for someone in the know.

I need to replace UPVC hinges and ideally like with like would be best as screw holes etc tend to align.

The length of the hinge is 425mm and is made by Cotswold. They seem to supply 16" hinges but 16" is around 405mm I wonder is it a thing some mm are lost in translation. There seems to be an egress/fire escape version at 425mm.but these are harder to track down.

Local supplier has hinges advertised as 414mm which is in between 16 and 425.

So confusing the UK hinges all advertise the the length in inches but stack height in mm!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Try this company, I dealt with them before for something similar.

https://www.universalproducts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭shane b

I had a similar problem with a bay window in the last 2 months. I couldnt find a similiar hinge to replace the ones that were already in place. In the end i just rang a local window guy to fit new hinges @ 65 euro per opening.

Are your windows made by Munster joinery by any chance?

Mine were and seemingly they are renowned for using hinges that are oddball sizes and not strong enough for the size of the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Not sure who put them in, but the large bay windows have tiny short hinges compared the the small bedroom ones which are massive. Got a quote €500 for hinges in 4 windows replaced and all the seals. Looking online if you can get the same hinge it is only a matter of unscrewing/rescrewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

I have had issues on two separate occasions with a Munster Joinery install outside warranty period. I rang customer service and found them extremly helpful. I got one (cheap item) free of charge and was able to purchase the other item at a reasonable price. On both occasions it was , luckily, a straight swap out. I would always recommend ringing the manufacturer first.

Advertisement