Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner at Boyne

Options
  • 22-04-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all,

I'm a beginner in fishing in general and I'm in Dunshaughlin (Co Meath).

I used to go fishing a bit at the other side of the world but I've never went fishing in Ireland and there is a lot of doubts on how this works here.

I'd like to ask around the spots I could go to fish around here and exactly what is necessary for that in regards to licenses/permits. I read a bit online and it's all very confusing. It seems it depends on the river and fish you're trying to get - I mean, how can you control what fish you're gonna get? (I know some would prefer one bait or lure over the other).

If anyone is around the area and would like to team up, I'd be happy about it!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey Rod

The Boyne River (Oldbridge to Navan)

The Boyne has extensive stocks of wild brown trout and also has a good run of salmon and sea trout in summer and autumn. The majority of salmon fishing in this are is controlled by Angling Associations with some being maintained by private fishery owners.

Season

Catch and Release for 2022

• Salmon and seatrout from 1st March to 30th September.
    • It is prohibited to use any fish hooks, other than single or double barbless hooks
    • It is prohibited to use worms as bait in angling for all species of fish

So from the above, I believe you can definitely fly fish it, or possibly spin it - but please please find out for sure before my head is chewed off here.

You would be wise to stick to trout, so if spinning, a rod rated anything from 5-20 gram max would be fine, or a fly rod of 9ft and 5# (# = weight)

Small mepps spinners would be the best bet, and a reel of around 2500 for spinning.

Various flies can be used depending on the time of year.

I would join "fly fishing for trout in irish rivers" on facebook, and ask about the rules exactly, and also inquire as to the clubs on the river. Someone will put you in touch with the relevant clubs, I wouldnt expect a club to charge more than €40 for the season. This will cover your insurance etc and give you access to the beats they have.

Once your sure whats available if you want to come back here I can gie you more details on gear needed etc and recommend some stuff for you to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're probably looking at waters under Navan Anglers club. I think they are fly only. Contact them for details. If something like €15 for a day permit and probably €50+ for annual membership.

Advertisement