Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TY School Tour costing €1,700

• 21-04-2022 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

My eldest lad produced a letter about an upcoming school tour for TY. A ski holiday to the States.

When he told me the cost was €1,700 I nearly fell off my chair! I've no problem paying for a "once in a lifetime" school trips, but this seems hugely expensive to land on parents in the current climate. I'm a bit annoyed that the school are putting kids/parents under this kind of pressure to be honest. Is this the norm for TY students across Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

It's not until the next school year, surely?

In that case he has plenty of time to contribute to the cost himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

1700 for a tour?? The organiser(s) have lost the run of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s insanity. They all need to get a grip. Unless he gets a part time job and saves it no way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

To the States? That is ridiculous given the abundance of ski resorts in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Even if he had 2 years to save for it, there's no way I'd be allowing it tbh. Skiing can be found closer to home for much less cost.

Absolutely ridiculous. It's a good chunk of the cost of a family summer holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I doubt many will be going on it. People are struggling to pay energy bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

We went to Malaysia with school under a vague scientific pretext back in 2000. Think it cost about 1100? In retrospect, outrageous and could never afford to do it for my kids but it actually had a hugely positive impact on me and I think of it regularly. It was a stunning beautiful place but also a really interesting and educational trip from an ecology and 'get out of your south county dublin bubble' perspective. 1700 is a lot though and you have some time so definitely get them to row in with at least some of the cost if you decide to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

When I was in TY, we had an evening trip to Kilternan 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Mosney every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tullamore for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

You must have been in the same school as me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We had a trip to the local paintball place for our Ty trip and I wasn't allowed go due my disciplinary record that year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭creedp

Ah sure cant the parents through the €200 Govt energy bonus towards it. Sure what else would they spend it in. IMO its irresponsible of the school to arrange such an extravagant trip when they know full well a significant number of kids cant afford to go. Looking after the well heeled and the lucky teachers who will be well looked after to chaperone them. Free education eh .. what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Incredible, the same people who pretend to care about the environment and climate change are sending their pupils / kids on a big carbon burning jolly skiing in the united states.

Also, isn't their a war on and a fuel crisis and ...

Skiing for the rich and climate change, for the poor.

It's a funny world.

Probably another 3/400 min for spending. Other stuff like clothes, travel bits and bobs, phone use abroad, passport. Rough figures you’re talking you’d need to earn close to gross €4k to pay for this trip in full.

When I was 16 I went on the TY Ski trip to Italy. It cost nothing like that money, and I learnt a valuable lesson. I am sh1te at skiing, but I also realised, most of the people, students and teachers who went on it, are regular skiers. I was part of one small cohort who were skiing virgins. About half took to it like a duck to water, and the other half, were just crap at it, like me. I still had a wonderful time though.

A teacher booking a trip to the US smells desperately of a teacher wanting to go somewhere different and getting help with paying their own expenses. 1700 for the US is a very good deal, but at least 1000 of that is flights, which means, the current cost of the trip could be 700(or less) for a Europe trip.

Plus, Im sure that figure doesnt include the personal accessories, When I went, over 20 years ago, one pair of ski socks was about 9 euros. Everything ski-related seems to cost more money.

I would be contacting other parents or the school and saying, there is absolutely no need to go to the US.

You could sum up the virtue signalling chattering classes with this post. Friend/more

acquittance is all into the greta cult. Is a teacher and know he was talking about her in class during the climate mania a few years ago. Same guy has the big

country McMansion, drives 100km each way to work, numerous foreign holidays per year. He sums the hypocrisy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Does every child in the class must go? What about the families can’t afford.

normally Irish family have like 3-4 children.

if each asked for 1700 * 3 = 5100

really are they out of their mind?

not every family is Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Surprised how any school unless a private school could ask parents to come up with 1700 Euro for a school trip.

The teachers who came up with this must be earning plenty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Teachers will be travelling free - kids will pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The teacher probably wants to visit the US on someone else’s dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

So some teacher is chancing it? See the reaction from parents?

but even kids themselves would know 1700 is a big number, right?

like my 10 year old if I buy him a Nintendo he would hesitate for a while say it’s v expensive.

Even we are a family owning a decent combined income.

Advertisement