Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guest in a medal comp

Options
  • 20-04-2022 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I played in a medal competition and the other person on the line brought a guest, who was not playing in, or eligible for, the medal comp. After the round, the committee declared that neither of the two members were eligible for the medal as there was a guest on the line. Does anyone know the ruling or regulations on this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

The best approach is to get clarification from your club's competition secretary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Golf is a social game, sounds crazy a free slot being taken by a guest results in that. Whatever happened to common sense?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Id have to ask how your system allowed a guest to be added to the line..Members only on timesheet for medal id presume but taking your money and telling you afterwards that your not eligible is wrong from your committee

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Terrible ruling. Both members mark each others score and the golf club gets extra green fee. What is wrong with that if no one else on the timesheet? That's the committee taking a competition to seriously. Golf is supposed to be a social game

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Thank you…..that’s exactly what I said to the committee. They revoked the decision “on this occasion” as they hadn’t advised in advance that it would be a problem ….some people allow a little bit of power go to their head 🙃 I agree…it’s a game !

• Advertisement

We have enough grief in our lives without this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

WTF!

another crazy decision

glad they reversed it.

but will they prevent guests from playing in comp spots in the future? Or will they insist that this is a rule which makes sense?

They’re preventing guests playing en empty comp spots from this point forward 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't see any real issue with that rule, if its not an open.

Members should be prioritised in slots for members comps surely?

I can't book a Guest in on the timesheet in my place unless it's a non comp day, or it's an open comp

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

If timesheet is not full on the day why not allow a guest? Member has priority until the actual day but if there's a free spot it should be open to anybody who wants it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Because a member is paying a membership fee to be part of a private club and not a public drop in facility. When you open up spots to green fees you have no control on who signs in to take the spot. The monthy medal is a serious competition and should be respected to the point where members playing should not have to deal with some random day tripper who fancies a game of golf because he was watching it on TV. There are enough opens around without opening monthly medal spots to green fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As above. It should not be open to anybody. And any club worth their salt doesn’t allow guests or green fees during competition time

It was a guest of the member on the time slot….not a random day tripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The best definition of the person is a non-member. And when you use that description, it should be clear enough that a non-member shouldn't be playing in a member's timeslot. Be it busy or not.

What I'm struggling to understand is how the non-member got to the first tee without the issue being nipped in the bud! Is there not a pro shop there that would have told them it was members only?

Or was it a case of the member bringing this non-member out on the quiet and on a freebie?

If the pro shop took money then that puts the issue back on the pro shop / club.

Either way, they did the right thing be reversing the decision and allowing your scores in the end imo. And I hope they set the member who brought the guest straight as well.

Had a look at timesheet last night, was full of 4balls, went out behind a 2ball and two 3balls.....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Oh sorry I read it wrong... having said that, I dont think I ever heard of a member bringing a guest out in the monthly medal. Club Medal competitions are just that, competitions for members of the club. Unless the club deems it an invitational or an open then guests are not allowed (the BRS system usually will not offer you the guest option when signing into club competitions).

I'm glad they revoked the decision, it was unfair to punish two members for their failure to set up the time sheet properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I am always amused by the comments that automatically assume there is a pro shop in the club.

There are an awful lot of small rural clubs that operate without one and you simply turn up and swipe your card and throw the entrance fee in an envelope. There also is a lot of clubs where every penny counts so if there are empty slots which there often is then it makes sense to allow a guest pay green fees.

On the ruling that was initially made it was somone on a bit of a powertrip. Its not like playing with a guest confers an advantage to you over the field. I really would like to see what rule of golf they thought was broken.

Advertisement