Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead water pipes in new home (1967 new to me)

Options
  • 19-04-2022 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Found my new home has lead water pipes! Gonna get them replaced asap. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'd recommend everyone check, fairly modern homes can have them too

Post edited by Wearb on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How old is your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GForsdyke

1967, so fairly late for lead pipes, became illegal in the 1970s

Ah. That makes sense. When you said new home I thought it newly built.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know if any of the mains supply outside your property boundary is lead too? This can sometimes also be the case, ideally need everything replaced which would require engagement with Irish Water, I think full replacement of lead in the mains are part of a wider plan.

Irish Water say that none of the mains network has lead pipes. You could have lead pipes from the stopcock on the road to your home

• Advertisement

In fairness the title is fairly misleading........55yrs old is hardly "new"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I guess it is new to the OP so that is what they meant

Did you get a survey done before buying the house? if so they should have called out it had lead pipes.

I looked at one house which had them when I was last buying, I wasn't in the mood to get stuck into them so passed. In the end I bought around the corner and someone else bought. They just knocked the house and built on the same spot.

He was a builder so maybe it was cheaper for him to do that way instead of refurbishment

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GForsdyke

Yeah sorry I should have been clearer, I recently bought the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Advertisement