Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting home - temporary insurance

Options
  • 19-04-2022 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭

I had an Irish driving license which I traded for a Canadian license when living in Canada.

You can only hold one country's license at any given time.

For the last 10 years my mother has been able to put me on her insurance for a few days at a time.

Then I moved to the US and had to swap my Canadian for a US license.

Now it is seemingly impossible, Zurich flat out refuse insurance on a US license.

Materially nothing has changed, I am still the same driver, who passed the same Irish driving test and has never had an accident in 15 years.

It looks like I can take my dad's car , he has AXA but it's not ideal. It's just frustrating that there is no logic here. Getting a US license didn't come with a lobotomy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's down to mutual recognition. Ireland and Canada has mutual recognition of licences so it's easy for an insurance company to add you to the policy, US States don't have mutual recognition so it's hard for insurance companies to add you to the policy.

If you come back from the States you might have issues transferring back to an Irish licence since it's >10 years since you last had a valid Irish licence.

Advertisement