Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylormade P-790 PW/ Wedge set combo

Options
  • 19-04-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi I have been playing a set of P790s for the last year with all lofts strengthened by 2 degrees on advice of the fitting. The PW has never really suited my eye and is a bit chunky compared to the rest of the set has anyone else had this issue.

My PW is 43 degrees in loft and my next wedge is 50-54-54 all SM8 vokeys. I was wondering has anyone dropped the set PW in favour for say a 45/46 degree vokey type wedge to gap the wedges correct?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭big_drive

You could try a 48-52-56/58 combo,

Or maybe just add a 46 to sit between the 43 & 50

Or another option could be bend the pw to 44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

My own experience is that a 48° vokey or less is infinitely more difficult to hit than 52° or higher.

Your ball striking could really fall off if you replace it out.

I have AP3s and I think my PW is 43/44. I've recently stared leaving the 48° vokey in the boot, have 52, 56 and 60° wedges.

Edit: a 43/44 PW is essentially a 9 iron and I think it's better to view it as such, I hate the modern marketing BS of just strengthening lofts and saying these clubs go x farther. I'd love if they just started putting the loft on the soles, numbers are pointless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would agree with this. I recently got fit for the p790s and included the gap wedge in the set so I could move away from a 50d vokey. I’m not the worst ball striker in the world but the vokey with a full swing requires a fair bit of consistency and isn’t a bit forgiving for mishits. I’ve much more confidence in the p790 when I’m hitting a full shot. I never chip or pitch with the 50d so only hit full shots. I don’t think the PW or GW look much bigger than a vokey either unless you’ve a different model?

Out of interest why did you get the lofts strengthened?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭kod12

Thanks for the replies. Lofts were strengthened as a result of a bad fit. I was sold them as was advised my srixon set was not fitted correct and the trackman numbers backed it up in terms of carry and dispersion. Took them to the course and we’re travelling the same if not less. Went back and was told I need diff shafts and lofts redone. To be honest I knew it was a bad fit and just wanted them to give me the right shafts and salvage what I could. Lesson learned and I do agree it’s all marketing with the strong lofts. I would prefer my old set back. I was thinking the 48 vokey to go into the set but I might look at weakening the lofts back to standard. It’s just the PW looked too chunky to my eye. I have the 2019 version

Advertisement