Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ethernet connection on 2nd floor

Options
  • 19-04-2022 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so now that i do work from home, my employer wants me to have my work computer wired up at home and not on wifi.

now my computer is on the second floor, and there is no ethernet port up here. the modem/router is at the ground floor.

i have a telephone jack in my bedroom behind my computer, but its not rj45 though, its something smaller. currently i'm doing everything through wifi. works fine.

so, how do i go about it? i'm paying for 1 gigabit, but on both my work and personal computer i receive around 150-300 mbit speed. so i would appreciate to actually use more of the speed i'm paying for.

if i want it properly wired and an ethernet port with 2 plugs, who can do that and what are the approx. costs?

a colleague suggested using those powerline passthrough adapters. that would suffice for the employer, they just need ot see the ethernet connected logo on the screenshot lol

so, these passthrough thingies are like 60-70 quid for a product with at least 2 ethernet ports (as i want both my own and by work computer wired)

also, do these products actually deliver? this product in particular: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA8033PKIT-Gigabit-Passthrough-Powerline/dp/B07GFHQXBP can it actually reach 1300 mbit (or at least 1000 in my case) through the power line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

A powerline will work & give you the screenshot required. Various versions by different manufacturers & different speeds are available, get one that meets your requirements of 2 ethernet ports.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i doubt you will get anything like full speed through powerline but it should work ok,

if you just need a screen shot why dont you just plug your laptop into the router and take the picture? then go back to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

do you know what speeds i can expect? if its faster than wifi than that will be good enough for me for now.

the thing is, the employer can do audits. i mean its a work computer they can log onto if they want, so just hooking it up to ethernet for the proof and then going back to wifi might end up in an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I'm not the OP!

I use a powerline ethernet connection without issue, speeds are not super fast compared to at router but works fine for my needs as I'd say they would for the OP. OP - Maybe also look at wifi access points with ethernet connections, maybe give faster speeds.

This is what I get with the wired connection (Working in a garage so further distance from router than OP on a second floor. (Wifi is about 16mbs) but meets my needs.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

If they just want to see the logo in the system tray, then enable USB tethering on your phone and connect it to the USB port. That internet connection through your phone will show up as the wired internet icon in the system tray. Screenshot that, send it to whatever jobsworth needs to see it, and then go back to your wifi as normal.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Seems a ridiculous stance by your employer IMHO

I'd imagine your Wi-Fi speeds should be up around 70meg anyway, and that is more than enough for 1 PC used for work purposes.

Your inline adapter will probably be less than that TBH.

If you must insist then the only way out of it is to run a cat6 cable from your router to your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the employer paying for these works? You're already paying for broadband, electricity, heating for the pleasure of working from home.

This sounds like an overreach by someone who really doesn't understand the technology involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Powerline adapter won't give you the speed needed, trust me I have had the same issue, it will give you much better than WiFi but will have some ping issues depending on the wiring in your house and how old it is.

Your best bet would be to simply run a cable from downstairs to upstairs, if its your own home I would recommend you to think about getting a port installed in the room your PC/Laptop or whatever it is you use is in, can be easy enough to do yourself, otherwise hire a professional to do it and ask your company to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Also be very careful if going the powerline adapter route, I have purchased 3 in my time, 2 of which were literally sold as "Gigabyte" connections but couldnt push past 100mb as the actual ports were not even Gigabyte enabled on them, TP-Links, the 3rd I was able to get 600mb/s

i cant run a cable. that would go all over the place, up the stairs, around, up another flight of stairs, then into the bedroom, it will be messy. if anything i'd like that done professionally with the wiring inside the walls and just a ethernet outlet behind the computers (where currently the power outlets and unused telephone outlet is), but that would be expensive i suppose.

• Advertisement

oh it is absolutely. it worked fine for 2 years and suddenly its an issue. the only time i was offline was when rats bit my fibreglas cable - the computers on ethernet wont help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is there a phone socket similar to the unused one behind your desk near your router? An electrician might be able to replace the line and faceplates with ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Not really possible to change the phone cable to Cat6. The cable, even if in a conduit could not be fished through the likely circuitous route which probably goes through walls, floors, joists etc.

if you insisted on a ethernet socket just surface fix the cable with clips into an inconspicuous place such as along a skirting board or in the corner of a wall.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I take rodent infestation issue resolved 😉

How old is the property (or wiring to be precise) ?

i have a telephone jack in my bedroom behind my computer, but its not rj45 though, its something smaller.

There is chance that wire there is at least CAT5e - perfectly capable to provide GB link. If not familiar, get electrician to inspect and if suitable wire, replace faceplate with RJ45 as well as sorting other end by the router.

Failing that and no avail to run cable inside, there is always option to go outside

there is a phone socket behind the computer on the second floor and much bigger phone/computer socket (judging by the pictograms on it) on the ground floor next to where the router is located!

yeah i have a wireless extender but the speeds are really really bad.

can i find out what cable is installed when i remove on the faceplates and have a loot at the cables? will it only be wires or can it be the sleeved cables that might have labelling on them?

i havent had the cable bit after i removed all the slack from the cable :D i removed the plate and just pulled the fibre cable until it was somewhat tight. that game me extra 15-20 cm of cable that i could hide behind the plate that that fibre box sits on. i thought that the cable was haging down to the floor between the walls after i saw the cable that the vodafone guy removed when he replaced it, so i guess an easier than necessary target for mice/rats.

either way lads, i now bought powerline inter equipment from tp link. works better than i expected, i get around 180-200 mbit. not enough to use on my own pc (i get up to 350mbit at certain times), but plenty for my work computer.

funnily enough, i tried downloading a bigger game through steam, and it seemed that even though i had less mbit through the powerline connection, the download speeds seemed to be faster than through wifi with more mbit? at time of testing, 25mb/s on powerline with 180mbit versus around 20 mb/s on wifi with 200+ mbit. but at times i still had faster speeds with wifi.... the best i had on wifi was around 35 mb/s. oh well, first world problems, am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

post img of wires you find behind plates, some might have imprint on them, CAT have distinctive twist.

Advertisement