If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha YSP-1600 Faulty after Firmware Update

Options
  • 19-04-2022 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Hi RS,

Bought this from clearance section a few years ago and it worked flawlessly until a recent firmware update.

ARC has stopped working correctly i.e no sound from soundbar when connected to ARC on TV (occasionally you'll get the odd crackle).

I've tried multiple different HDMI cables and tested 3 different TVs and all behave the same, this only happened after 3.12 Firmware update.

What are my options?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,133 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey M00lers.

Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your YSP1600.

If the unit is still within warranty then we can send it off for repair. Yamaha warranty is usually 2 years.

If it is outside of warranty it would unfortunately be a chargeable repair.

It might be worth dropping Yamaha an email to see if they have had any issue with the latest firmware as they might already know of the issue and be working on or have a fix for it.

Just to also check have you tried a factory reset on the YSP1600?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks for reply Kenny, I thought the same but cannot see any option to factory reset the soundbar in the menu.

Order number 126332, can you verify if under warranty or not please?

I'll contact Yamaha and see if they have a solution.

Hey M00lers.

It was purchased 21.1.20 so it would now be outside of warranty unfortunately.

Hopefully this link and instructions will work for factory resetting the bar for you:

Its not menu settings but more of a button pressing exercise.

Let me know if this works or not.

Outside of warranty by months. Typical!

I'll try that sequence of buttons presses but that webpage is not referencing the YSP-1600, there is no display on the YSP-1600 for starters.

I've contacted Yamaha so hopefully I'll get some joy from them.

Hey M00lers.

Ahhh. Seems that is for the YSP1.

Can't seem to see one for the YSP1600 online. Every other Yamaha soundbar apart from the 1600 for some reason.

I've also tried to check for anyone else with issues after the 3.12 Firmware update and can't see anything either.

Ill check in with our service team to see if they know how to factory reset the YSP1600 and revert back.

• Advertisement

Hey M00lers.

Unfortunately our service agents don't have a factory rest for the YSP1600 either.

Another thing to check is that the HDMI Control is set to "ON" if it is set to "OFF" then ARC will not work.

Hey M00lers.

just checking in to see if you had any luck with your soundbar?

Hi Kenny, no luck yet although I received a email from Yamaha with a few trouble shooting steps including a reset procedure for the soundbar but as of yet I have had no joy.

My next step is to try and reload firmware via USB and if that's unsuccessful I'll see if Yamaha will provide a way to rollback to a previous firmware.

My gut feeling is that the HDMI port is faulty as everything else works i.e get sound from setup menu when setting levels etc.

Hey M00lers.

You did check the HDMI control to ensure it is set to ON. ARC will not work if the HDMI Control is set to OFF but you would still get the tones from the soundbar menus as these do not use the ARC function.

You may have already checked this and if so then hopefully Yamaha might have some other options.

Keep me posted.

Yes Kenny, I should have clarified that point. HDMI control is definitely set to on...I've been through everything with a fine tooth comb.

Trust me when I say that my last resort was to contact both you and Yamaha...my thoughts are that although I thought a firmware update was the fault I now believe it is just a coincidence that the fault with HDMI port and firmware update happened to coinside with each other.

The soundbar has been faultless, and I mean "faultless" until the recent update but who knows it could be that the HDMI port has just decided to pack it up at the same time as the update.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

M00lers,

TBH, I think it's unlikely that the HDMI board is the issue as, from experience, it is just not something we ever see with Yam Soundbars.

I know it's out of guarantee and was an box clearance unit but we do not want to see you stuck so if Yamaha cannot assist please do drop us a line and we will happily credit you 33% of the original purchase price and you can hold onto the unit ( it will still work no problem via Optical)

..Hopefully you can get it going again with Yamaha assistance tho' as it's a great unit, but keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John, thats extremely generous of you. I'll do what I can to get it functional, Optical is an option but was hoping to avoid using it but will do as a last resort. Probably will purchase another soundbar from RS as a replacement anyway!! Any deal on that ex-demo YSP-5600 I spotted on clearance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What is the deal with warranty and firmware upgrades so? If it's possible that an upgrade could brick a system out of warranty, then the best approach would be to avoid all firmware upgrades past this point?

Or else Yamaha shouldn't offer firmware upgrades past the point the item could still be in warranty. If it's their advice to regularly install firmware upgrades, then this issue should not be the customer's to beat the brunt of. You could easily argue the firmware upgrade was faulty so it's Yamaha's fault the issue arose.

Hi MagicBastarder.

The OP has been in touch with Yamaha and is awaiting a reply.

It is very very uncommon for a unit to "Brick" after a firmware update but as with life sometime things can just go wrong.

Of course we don't even know that that is what caused the issue in the first place either.

Good news but I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Early days.

Flashed the firmware via USB (took 4 attempts with 4 different USB drives to find one that the soundbar was happy to update from!!) and ARC seems to be functional again, hopefully it will stay working this time.

So it was indeed the latest firmware that was the problem not the HDMI port/HDMI cable and or settings.

Thanks all.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Magic,

I know Kenny has already replied but just to add, this particular unit was purchased as an open box discounted clearance unit and it is outside the normal extended guarantee period that Yamaha offer - even if the unit was purchased as a new unit it was still outside the guarantee period.

However we have tried to support M00lers who is a regular and repeat Customer, as we would try to support all our Customers. I appreciate your input but it is never our intention that a Customer should bear the brunt of an issue when a unit is in guarantee, we always try to work with both Customers and manufacturers.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald

Richer Sounds Ireland

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi M00lers.

Hopefully that has sorted your problem, if you have any further issues just let us know how we can help

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 edbd

Hi there!

dealing with same problem here, can you send me the file of fimware?

edbd269@gmail.com

my email

regards

eyal

Hi Eyal.

The latest firmware update for the YSP1600 can be downloaded from the link below:

Hopefully this helps.

Hi and thank you!

im already have ver 3.12, and suddenly my ARC port stopped working. It worked fine in the last 4 years. Ive tried everything, and then i saw this post- the writer said the problem was the last firmware, so im looking for older fimware. Couldnt find online.

• Advertisement

Here.

Hey Edbd.

You might need to contact Yamaha directly to see if they can supply it.

Do you know which version it is that you are looking for?

I'll see if I can reach out the OP to see where he got it from, though it was nearly two years ago unfortunately.

Im not sure what ver im looking for. ive seen at yamaha site ver 2.52 before the current ver (3.12), but i can download it.

ill try to contact them

Hi M00lers!

is there a chace u send me the fimware file?

im having the same problem now, can i cantr each yamaha support for some reason.

my email is

EdBd269@gmail.com

thx!

Hopefully you get sorted EdBd.

If I find anything this end I'll keep you posted.

Hi Kenny,

can you help me reach out yamaha?

i tried fill online form but for some reason i cant send it.

they have email?

Hi EdDb.

Unfortunately I only have access to the same contact details as yourself for Yamaha customer service. Any of our Yamaha repairs etc are dealt with by approved Yamaha agents but not Yamaha themselves.

If we need support we have to call their team, 01526 2449 from the Republic of Ireland. This should put you through to their support team.

Just spotted this today, wasn't an actual problem with the actual firmware. When I reflashed with latest firmware it fixed the issue i was having.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi M00lers,

Thanks for updating us. Really glad to hear that's got you up and running again and I hope your bar is currently running issue free.

If you need anything else please don't hesitate to drop us a post.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.