Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel care

Options
  • 18-04-2022 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, I recently got a 2008 diesel Passat and want to cate for it the best I can, I live in a city and don’t use it a huge amount, average 2hrs per week, and mainly for short trips. I know this isn’t ideal for a diesel but I was told before as long as I take it for a long trip every now and again it should be fine. Was hoping someone could give more advice. How often should a long trip occur and exactly how long is good? 15 minutes in 5th gear on a motorway once a week ok?

Also I’ve heard of Redex diesel sydtem cleaner, is this a good idea?

any advice would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Also I bought some oil just to have in case I need to top up, is this brand ok? I realise now it’s not one of the big brands like Mobil or Castrol.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

4th gear would be better on the motorway, you want high revs to increase workload on the engine, 5th or 6th gear will give lower revs. One trip every 2 weeks would be fine, half an hours worth or so.

I wouldn't bother with any diesel cleaner unless an actual issue exists that requires action, if you were noticing smokey exhaust it could be added.

Oil brand is not really too important, it's more the type of oil first 5w/30, 10w/40 etc, some will have additional spec numbering which will be for cars with DPF's fitted and other engine requirements. If you have the owners manual that came with your car it will details the correct spec. If you go to the likes of the castrol.co.uk website and put in the details of your car it will give the Castrol recommendations for the car, you can then just match these specs with anything off the shelf you want to buy. You can see on your oil pictured it has ACEA C2/C3 and API SN/CF, these are the specs for the oil, your car will have specific requirements for these. If just topping up putting in 5w/30 where the car requires some slightly different 5w/30 would be fine until next service, in an emergency 10w/40 would be fine too rather than let in run dangerously low.

Thanks, I really appreciate your comment and advice. In the manual it says to use VW 507 00 high lubricity multigrade oil. I discovered then that VW 507 00 is the same as 5W/30, I’m hoping that’s correct. So that was the oil I got, I didn’t realise there were different specs for 5W/30. The guy in the shop wasn’t particularly helpful. I checked the manual again and it doesn’t seem to mention anything about specific oil specs. As far as I know The car doesn’t have a DPF. Would you think this oil is fine if I ever need to top up?

So 30 mins on a motor way in 4th is good for 30 minutes every 2 weeks or so, that’s great to know, I have a red counter should I keep it within a certain range?

Thanks again

M

Yes VW 507 00 is exactly what you needed so matches.

Pretty sure it has a DPF as standard, this from 2003 on the 2 litre Passats. If no DPF the motorway runs not needed as that's where the problem is caused in short low rev journeys. Keep the revs out of the red zone, doesn't need to be driven like it's stolen, just steady high revs and the DPF regen should kick in.

https://dieselnet.com/news/2003/11vw.php

Thanks again, the Passat I have is a TDI 1.9, I’ll have to contact a vw dealer, as I can’t really find a concrete answer to it having a DPF or not, and when the lights pop on in the display I don’t see the DPF symbol, though it may very well be there. Though other boards people have said it doesn’t and other have said it does. Will have to try find the answer. So if there was no DPF then there’s no need to do the motorway runs? That makes sense, not having to clear out the filter. Thanks again, I’ll have to try get to the bottom of this.

• Advertisement
    M

Yes with no DPF it won't be getting clogged up from low speed useage, you will though probably notice a discharge of soot when you floor it on the motorway first time in a while.

Ok, so if the discharge only happens once then I’ll take it it’s just clearing the pipes and nothing to worry about. 👍🏼

M

Yes you would regular see it with older cars pre-DPF era.

That’s great, thanks and as far as diesel care without a DPF, if it is without one, then the long motorway journeys are not necessary. Any advice on how to keep it in good shape, just don’t put it under too much pressure and the short journeys shouldn’t be too problematic. It’s almost a good thing if it without the DPF.

thanks again

i

I heard back from Volkswagen. Turns out my car has a catalytic converter, they said ‘Some 1.9 TDI engines did get a DPF, but at that time it was an optional extra and not mandatory under EU4 emissions standards’.

Does that make any difference? Any advice on how to care for it would be great.

thanks

• Advertisement
    M

Then you are grand, no DPF to regenerate so local trips will do no harm.

One other thing to look out for in a diesel is the glow plugs on a cold morning which heat the diesel prior to starting the engine when you put the car in the On position prior to it cranking. You need to wait until the glow plug symbol on the dash is no longer lit so you know the diesel has been heated enough to start the car.

This is the symbol...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

On a diesel car, even with no DPF, it helps to take the car on a long trip every few weeks at higher revs.

For example the EGR valve will become clogged with soot and sludge and require removal & cleaning.

This leads to decrease in power and the typical clouds of black smoke when accelerating.

Dipetane is widely sold in motor factors. Even my local Applegreen stocks it. Worthwhile getting a bottle. It's a large bottle so will last a while and only costs about a tenner. If you don't know the history of the car or are new to it then it would be worthwhile getting a bottle.

The next time you get a service done, also include a fuel filter change. This is normally overlooked.

I have a late 2006 diesel with only 66,000 miles which is very low for a 15 year old car. I used to drive this mainly for long trips (Dublin to Cork, Galway, Belfast) but those days are now gone. I take it for a drive up/down the M50 every now and again (once or twice a month) for shopping purposes etc.

It's important to get the engine up to normal operating temperature first and then continue to drive it for about 45mins with about 10-15mins in 4th or so.

Once a month would be fine if you are doing frequent short trips.

When i say "get the engine up to normal operating temperature first", i don't mean start it and let it warm up while stationary. That's not good for modern cars. Start it and drive off normally. When the temp gauage reaches normal (usually at midway mark) then you can floor it.

I had no idea, thanks for this, really appreciate it

Thanks for that, the product you mentioned, is this the one

you add it straight to your tank? Will definitely pick some up to be safe, and it’s something you would constantly use of only once in a while? Thanks again for all the tips, really appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd double check the oil. Yes vw 50700 is a 5w30 spec but that does not mean that all 5w30 oils meet the VW spec.

I think back then vw505.01 was suitable too but not vw505.00.

Parking brake buttons give trouble, rear calipers also. Were fond of flywheels too.

If you got one that has been looked after it should be still a reasonably good reliable car.

Yes. That's it.

It treats up to 4 tank fulls. So use it for the first 4 tanks and then buy another bottle some months down the line.

May 4-6 months, depending on how often you fill up.

There are measurement markers down the side of the bottle to help you pour the right amount.

From their website:

• Simply fill up your vehicle with an amount of litres of fuel and then pour in the corresponding amount of Dipetane, e.g. for 40 litres of fuel pour in 4 units of Dipetane.
    • Each bottle of Dipetane treats 200 litres of any fuel.
    • Use Dipetane for 2 to 3 fuel fill-ups to gain the full benefits.
    • Each division on the bottle treats 10 Litres
    • There is no danger from putting in too much Dipetane.
    • Dipetane is designed for continuous use.
    • Dipetane helps to pass the NCT emission tests

This is great thank you, I’ll pick up a bottle of this, thanks very much again for all your help.

Thanks, the manual only says a high lubricant 50700. It doesn’t give any specifications regarding oil specs. I’ll contact Volkwagen and ask, though funnily enough they are not very forthcoming with advice on how to care for a car. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Also change the oil and oil filter regularly. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and in the ownership cost of a car is buttons.

Still can't understand new cars and the 30k service intervals.

I have a diesel van and I change the oil and filter every 10k. It sounds like overkill to some but it's peace of mind to me and has served me well.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I was told the oil was changed in the service before I bought it and I have a reminder set to change again in 10,000.

Just in case anyone arrived here looking for a similar answer, I was in touch with Volkswagen and they said the only oil they recommended is Castrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nothing to do with brand of oil as others have said, it must have VW 507 on the can. One problem that can occur on the 1.9 engine is sticking turbo vanes especially on cars doing short trips. Nothing can prevent it unfortunately, regular servicing with good quality oil will certainly help but it can still happen.

Just on the "It's better for modern engines to warm up quickly" stuff, is there any logical/scientific backing behind that or is just something car companies have said so people repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i changed the oil in my mother's diesel car and it was jet black within a day...is this normal?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

100%. It would be black in a matter of miles, black oil in a diesel engine doesn't mean anything bad, in fact it means the oil is doing its job in cleaning the engine, it will still lubricate just as well for the length of the service interval. It turns black so quick because diesel engines by design are dirty, they generate more soot and particles as a byproduct of combustion, the new oil mixes with the residual oil and carbon in the engine which turns it black in a short time

Only thing I'd be concerned about with diesel oil is if it smelled burnt or the consistency was off like if 5w30 oil looked a bit thicker.

Advertisement