Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reduce an image size without cropping

• 16-04-2022 2:24pm

How do i reduce an image size without cropping in Photoshop?I want to keep all but have it smaller. I can get it to 6x 3.372 but not 6x4 unless i untick constrain aspect ratio. That stretches it. Is 6 x 3.3.372 the closest you can get

I chose fit to original size and the

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can reduce the file size by saving a copy with more image compression. The save as JPEG option gives you a slider that shows the resulting file size.

You can reduce the image resolution too.

Or are you really asking about the aspect ratio?

The original is

w 27.2 inches

h15.289 inches

i want to keep everything including aspect ratio but shrink to it 6x4 and be good enough for printing in a magazine. Is that possible or is 6 x 3.372 the closest i can get keeping aspect ratio?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can reduce size, but if you want to change aspect ratio, you can't do it without either cropping, or stretching or squeezing the image.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The physical size in inches is meaningless once there is enough resolution. You’re asking to reconcile two different aspect ratios. You’re going to have to crop, stretching wouldn’t be ideal. You could always try content aware fill to add a bit of extra sky or whatever is along one side that’s isn’t too important.

@Suspect ok thanks

6x3.372 is close enough to 6x4

Should it be 180 or 300 resolution for a magazine to print hard copy

Thanks all who replied

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

300 for print. so based on your required size, pixel dimensions should be 1800x1132 pixels or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

You can also reduce it in paint as well

Step 1: Select the image file you want to resize.

Step 2: Right click on image file and select “Open with Preview.”

Step 3: In Preview, go to Edit > Select image.

Step 4: Image is selected, go to Tools > Adjust Size.

Step 5: Enter the width or height value to resize your image to your liking.

Advertisement