Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GB Transferees

Options
  • 16-04-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello,

I am currently serving in a mainland GB force. I'm interested in talking to others in that position who are also applying for the PSNI or who have already made the move.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

Hi Marshall

I joined PSNI in 2008. I transferred to a GB force in 2013. Easiest move ever. They treated my service with respect. Couple of days familiarisation and I was out on the ground.

Decided to return to PSNI in 2013. It isnt a "transfer." It is a disgrace. You have to do the full training like any recruit. They have had transferee processes in the past which had 6 werks training.

When you come to the PSNI you will drop your rank initially but keep leave and entitlements.

It is hard. You walk about calling people with a few years service "staff." There is no weight given to service. It literally means nothing.

I know that is negative but its my experience. I am happy to be back but god they made things harder than needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Aye but you chose to come back.

It was common knowledge that coming from GB you had to apply like any other civvy.

Your pay scale carries. Your pension carries. And in most cases courses such as driving etc carries.

Not really sure why you'd expect your service to carry "weight" in training when you made a conscious choice to come back knowing full well you'd be a student officer again.

NI is unique in terms of legislation, powers and processes compared to GB forces that aren't always directly comparable.

Beyond comprehension why you'd expect special treatment especially when you'd be a student officer on a salary higher than your peers. But sure it's sorted now.

Advertisement