Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon FBA in Ireland

• 16-04-2022 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hello,

Given that Amazon will open a large fulfilment centre in Dublin in 2022 (ref: announcements in 2021), does anyone have insight on how Amazon will operate in Ireland? Presumably with a fulfilment centre in Ireland, taking orders from Irish customers primarily via Amazon UK would make little sense from a tax perspective.

Will we see an Amazon Ireland site? If Amazon orders will still be placed through the UK site, or elsewhere, will only Amazon's 'direct' product stock be distributed from Ireland (instead of stock from third-party sellers)?

I am interested to understand the Amazon FBA opportunities which may emerge in Ireland. Any insights appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The opportunities that exist currently will be the same when a center opens in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It will be a lot easier though given that you no longer have to deal with all the brexit crap They were due to open in the spring of this year so it shouldn't be much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

How so? Is this fulfilment centre solely for direct sale use? I doubt it. There's a whole new scope for same-day / next-day delivery, along with the potential for Amazon to grow significantly in Ireland. More products will be delivered from Ireland to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sorry, i thought you were asking from a sellers point of view not a buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

I was!

Does anyone know if Amazon will launch an Amazon Ireland site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It will be a very simple solution.

You will order from Amazon.ie, it will have a huge range of products. many items will be in Dublin and dispatched immediately and many items will be in other warehouses and will get bulk transported to Dublin, sorted and then dispatched.

That is how they operate elsewhere and its why you have delivery times from 1-2 days up to 10-14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Has anyone heard when the warehouse on the N7 will be open. Last I heard was they were opening April 2022. I don't see much lorries going in and out so I assume its not open yet?

Apparently Amazon built too many warehouses during the pandemic and now the demand is no longer there. The opening of the new warehouses in America has been delayed until next year, so I assume its the same here. Some are saying it could even be 2024 before they're all fully open.

Edit: Actually I just had a look at the Indeed website. Two jobs were listed yesterday for Amazon warehouse workers in Baldonnell. Maybe it is open. I can't seem to find any other information on it.

Post edited by Mister Vain on

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sugarman20

Does anyone know if we will still be charged custom charges from this new centre? Can't seem to find a definite answer online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no way that you could be. The items are in Ireland.

Not everything that the totality of UK FCs have will be there though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Yea, I can't see that they could either, presumably even if we remain on .co.uk without getting a .ie site their backend systems will know what warehouse items are going to be fulfilled from and capture the import charges through the existing process if that's outside the EU but not include if coming from the new Irish warehouse.

One thing that has puzzled me with the existing charges on 3rd party country goods above €150 that have a duty rate applicable is whether either the consumer or Amazon is getting double charged somewhere along the line.

Many dutiable goods probably have the same rate in the EU and the UK as they haven't diverged that much yet and in some cases they are possibly WTO rates anyway.

So if I order something subject to import duty I can see a couple of scenario's applying all of which seem to result in a higher than warranted price to Irish customers unless I am missing something.

• Item has come into the UK warehouse and Amazon paid UK import duty when they brought it in and this is reflected in the UK price. They then have to charge an Irish customer EU duty again and no adjustment is made to the UK duty already paid so its effectively paid twice once in UK and once in EU
    • Item has come into the UK warehouse and Amazon paid UK import duty when they brought it in and this is reflected in the UK price. They then have to charge an Irish customer EU duty but get a refund of UK duty on an item re-exported. As UK pricing is not adjusted to the Irish customer Amazon effectively make a higher margin on this item
    • Item has come into the UK warehouse under some sort of bonding scheme and Amazon only pay UK import duty if they ship to a UK customer, however they don't add it at checkout for UK customers so its already priced in to the quoted price. If they ship to an Irish customer they charge EU duty but have paid no UK duty which had been priced into their quoted price. Again as UK pricing is not adjusted to the Irish customer Amazon effectively make a higher margin on this item

So with an Irish warehouse (and site for simplicity) they would likely pay EU import duty when brought into the Irish warehouse (which is the same or a similar rate to what they pay for importing to the UK warehouses and site) and shouldn't have to increase the price for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Does anybody know if it is possible for an Irish Business to sell on Amazon FBA but only on the European Websites but exclude .co.uk

What would be the requirements?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Has anything changed with the fulfillment centre in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Well, this was in the news yesterday:

...but I don't know if there's any way to filter for products on the UK site that actually come from this centre. Would be a nice feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

yeah ive been looking to start up for a while now. I work in supply chain and dont need the pain that is getting stuff to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

They still won't ship anything with a Lithium battery to ROI or NI. ⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Yes , a great way

Does anyone know if they're doing the Amazon Flex here?

Advertisement