Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Players - One Golf Bag

Options
  • 15-04-2022 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Question for the more experienced players here....was playing a casual nine holes at the local club with Mrs Geld. We decided to put all the clubs in one bag for convenience.

While out on the course another player came over to us and told us that we should have separate bags and that sharing a bag was against the rules of GUI, the club, and not considered good golf etiquette. He couldn't explain the rationale behind this rule and considered us lucky that he wasn't going to ask us to leave the course!

Is this true that we shouldn't have used only one bag? I couldn't find any reference to the rule on either the GUI's site or the club's site where we played. We weren't taking part in a competition.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Geld

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

He sounds like a complete arsehole, I would have told him to piss off.

Ye were just out for a casual few holes so it makes no odds if you were sharing a bag. Like you said you weren’t playing a comp, if you were then that’s a different matter.

Maybe In the old days when snobs ran all the golf courses he might of had a point, but not today.

I’m guessing he’s well know in your club for being a bit of a dickhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

hes an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

These people need to be told to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Who was he thinking he could order you off the course I wonder. An ordinary member wouldn’t have that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Not to mention the fact that the GUI ceased to exist over 2 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I could understand it being a problem if there was a buildup behind because you were taking longer using a single bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tell him that’s how you always carry your golf bats. Just to see the look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Was this the chap?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A good example of someone who thinks he owns the place, I'd just take my shot and ignore him, folk like that are simply not worth the breath

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭blue note

That thread title had me worried. Reminds me of a disturbing video that did the rounds when I was in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Something I've read about happening in the states but surprised to hear about it in Ireland. Its absolutely slower than 2 players with a bag each but still quicker than any fourball.

If he was willing to coming over probably not alot you could say to get rid of him quickly either, I'd still have something to say though 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Thanks for all the comments folks! Yes, he was a bit of a tool but in fairness to him, he apologised to us afterward. After I had my say about him being out of order and rude etc. we shook hands and left it at that. Life is too short! The Mrs is a member, I was the guest so didn't want to compromise her golf.

The main point of the post was about the "ruling" around having to have a bag. All I have come up with since is that you would want to be a bit of an ejit to carry the clubs + all the other bits around the course. More (obvious!) advice as opposed to an actual rule.

Keep it on the fairway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I remember hearing of that video back then but I never watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The only rule I could find was your not allowed to share clubs, nothing about bags. Perhaps he thought there was only one set of clubs in there. Fair play for fitting them all in aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Next to impossible to play ready golf with one bag. Slow play is the biggest plague in the game......... well maybe behind clowns who don't repair pitch marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yeah but a 2 ball wouldn't be that slow anyway. 3 or 4 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 halenajulie42

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Can see it frowned upon here but have done it plenty of times on holidays with 2 people sharing one set on a buggy, Usually try get them to throw in a second putter.

Just looking at the adding clubs rule, Always wondered if technically you could start with one and add as you needed might (totally against the spirit of the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Fair play Geld you handled it well and good for you for telling him he was rude, i hate people like this in golf clubs who think they own the place and they are usually the slowest players in the club in my experience anyway, hopefully he says it to the wrong person some day and gets chinned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah it's not that bad. Have a google and watch it. Also, please video your reaction and post up here for us all to enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement