Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar Traynor Road Development

Options
  • 15-04-2022 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We are viewing some properties in this area (and Santry in general), some just across the road from this proposed development, and discovered this development has been given the greenlight:

It's kind of put us off the area a bit, 40% of social housing seems quite high and, while we are looking for a forever home, with the current prices you do have to consider the impact something like this could have on your properties price. I would also be concerned about possible traffic issues as a result.

I'm curious if there are any locals on here and what their thoughts are on the development?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Worked in the area, traffic on that road leading up to the roundabout is bad enough, without the extra housing. Not to mention the out-of-character monstrous flat complexes they built, in Santry Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Have to build them somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Agreed, but keep it in character. I believe they have also earmarked another place in the village for more high-rise development! and the place the buses parked for the ed sheeran concert, for more developments! the Drumcondra - belfast road full of traffic as is, is only gonna creek and crawl even more. It's obviously an area without much clout, you would get so much building in more affluent areas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't keep everything in character for indefinite distances or we'd have nothing higher than a bungalow anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I think it’s a little ironic that you call it the Village when previously it was little more than a bar and a small selection of shops and almost no-one living there, everyone was pushed to the housing estates that surround it. Now that there are actual people living right on the Main Street, perhaps it might feel more like an urban village and less like a stopping point on the road to somewhere else.

Also ironically since you mentioned traffic, the people living there are less likely to contribute to traffic than if they were pushed into developments further outside the city. They’re likely to have fewer available parking spaces and, because of the location, they’re more likely to take public transport or cycle. If we didn’t build these, those people could be living in Swords or further out and driving through OTR / Santry every day making traffic worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement