Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting a lamb in a conventional oven

Options
  • 15-04-2022 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

"20 min to the pound and 20 min over" was how I was reared, but this was using a fan oven.

I'm cooking a leg on Sunday at the gf's but she has a conventional oven. I've never cooked using one before.

Can anyone advise as to time/temp for roasting meat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The fan circulates the heat so cooks more evenly. Most relevant when baking really where you reduce the temperature by 5 to 10 degrees.

For meat the temp can be raised a bit at the beginning in the conventional oven. Your time is correct for the conventional oven. All ovens are different and the actual temperature can vary betweens ovens.

I always use a meat thermometer, mainly because I'm neurotic about undercooked chicken. You need to cook to a minimum of 65 degrees, more if you want it well done. Allow 15 mins resting time before carving.

There are lots of recipies and instructions online if you want inspiration. It's an expensive piece of meat so needs care. Enjoy!

Advertisement