Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak under sink

Options
  • 14-04-2022 8:29pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a small leak under my sink, looks like it’s coming from the seal between the sink and the drain.

Happens when the sink is filled with the stopper in. Wasn’t obvious or couldn’t feel much wet when water was just running, but was very obvious when sink filled and left for a few minutes.

what’s the best way to fix this? Do I need to replace the strainer?

Is this diyable or a job for a plumber? Will I need some special tools to remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

is it one o those with the removable strainer pieces. if so the nut that holds it together is around the hole that strainer fits into. get a large screwdriver or something that will fit both parts of the slot . see if its tight. if loose tighten it and check again.if it is tight then take it apart and put it back together with some silicone under the part inside the sink and on top of the part below the sink. replace the rubbers if they are damaged.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

yes there’s a nut there.

It’s a double sink, the double strainer on the second one has absolutely no movement in it but this one has a bit of play, it wiggles a bit underneath.

Maybe youre right and it’s just loose, will try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A coin might do if you don't have a large screwdriver.

Don't overtighten

It was loose indeed! Gave it a good tighten, filled and no sign of water so far.

Will leave for 30 mins or so to be sure.

wonder how it became loose??

Tightening sorted the issue, thanks a million @the_pen_turner !

• Advertisement
Advertisement