Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discrepancy in car NCT history

Options
  • 14-04-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Is this a common scenario in Ireland? I am planning to buy an used car. The car seems to have single owner. But when I checked the history, the car's first NCT expired in 2018 and the owner took it to NCT only after 14 months ie in 06/2019. I asked the dealer who is selling this, and he says it could be because the manufacturer's warranty would have covered it for one more year and the owner waited for the warranty to expire and then he took it to NCT. Is it ok to have a car in Ireland without NCT?

The seller assured me that I will get 1 year warranty on this car now.

I am totally confused should I go ahead in buying this car since I feel that this car could have a hidden history.

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

More details please.

There could be many reasons for a gap in nct.

Owned illness or off the road for any reason.

Could have been sitting on a forecourt for that term but you day it only had one owner.

Are you sure about the owners. If the record show one previous owner. That means one owner prior to current owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a service history with the car? That should answer more questions than the NCT issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hago123

I am in the West of Ireland and the car is in Dublin. I am contemplating whether it is worth to travel this far to see the service history and return back.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hago123

Hi, see the attached image. It seems that it has 0 previous owner. The car just arrived to the dealer yesterday. so they need time to get the ownership changed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Squatman

doesnt really matter. Do a cartell check on it. and if no damage history, and the paintwork all matches, then buy wiht confidence. Missed NCT was common as hell, particularly back then when they started issueigg penalty points for expired NCts, it created a massive backlog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As mentioned previously, the service history is more important that any gaps in the nct. When has it been serviced, to what level and by whom (is it stamped by a main dealer?)

The seller assured me that I will get 1 year warranty on this car now.

If you choose to buy then make sure that the warranty is worth the paper it is written on! Bear in mind that many warranties on used cars from non dealer garages are specific to that garage and only cover engine and gearbox - know exactly what you're getting before parting with any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So it's a 2014 car. It's not that it's first nct expired. It never had an nct til 2019.

That might be more common as some new car buyers never see an nct centre and it could well have been a slip up.

Advertisement