Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to treat an oak bench for use outdoors

Options
  • 14-04-2022 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all, I've bought a new solid oak bench meant for indoor use but I want to use it outdoors. As I understand it, if it has been finished with something like danish oil it can be used outside but if varnished it will need to be sanded and finished with something more appropriate for outdoors. Can anyone advise me on how to identify what kind of finish the bench currently has so that I can deal with it appropriately? From a layman's perspective, i'd guess it hasn't been varnished as doesn't have a glossy look, more of a satin. I appreciate that may be an incorrect assumption however. Many thanks in advance, Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This might be a good start

https://www.hunker.com/12437441/how-to-tell-which-kind-of-finish-is-on-a-wood

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CathyEck

That's brilliant. Thanks @Lumen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it glossy? danish oil won't really leave a hard glossy finish, it usually is more muted.

if the bench is designed for indoor use, it might not be suited to beign taken outdoors; e.g. joints might be easily accessible to rain which could cause them to swell and rot, etc.

Advertisement