Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating options for home gym/garage

Options
  • 13-04-2022 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new 2 storey garage, incorporating a home office and a gym. It's detached from the main house which is on mains gas for heating. It's not easy to run a gas line over to the garage, so I was wondering what the best option would be? Size will be around 100m2 (5m x 10m footprint)

Options as I see them are:

1. Pure electric - probably be expensive
    2. Gas boiler - will have to dig a trench and run about 50m of gas pipe across lawn and hardscaping
    3. Heat pump - don't know how suitable this would be
    4. Solid fuel option?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Oil?

Though if building from scratch it would be possibly to bring it to a standard suitable for heat pump.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

Would prefer not to go the oil route, the garage is in an awkward place to run a pipe to and the price of oil is only going to go one way. I am thinking heat pump as I intend have it well insulated. Perhaps a small one would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In this day-in-age, if there is a gas supply locally then there is very little justification in suggesting oil?

You're going to want (almost) instantaneous heat for an occasional room, so - in my opinion - a mini-split heat pump (think wall-mounted AC unit)... or drag that gas line over.

And you could suppliment that with IR panels to achieve a targeted heating solution while the HP gets up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

The gym and garage will be on the bottom floor, the home office on the top. I want to have a shower in there too (so I can use the home office as a guest bedroom if required) so I'll need a water tank heating solution. The gym/garage doesn't need to be too warm. Maybe heat pump plus underfloor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Storage heating?

• Advertisement
Advertisement