Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Assembly In Ireland, 1967

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

My reply showed as two posts, and I edited one, and lost both. Anyhow, my Dad's best pal worked in Lincoln and Nolan, formerly Lwr Baggot St (Austin assemblers if the back of '57 Capuchin Annual is any guide), and the above from Booth Poole, Islandbridge, seems to have a Wolseley 16/60 (uncle had one, and I've had one for 14 yrs albeit an import) or two in shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I saw that a few weeks ago on my youtube travels. I had no idea so much work was involved, thought it was basically bolting on a few bits. Why did this happen in the first place, I'm not well up on it. Was it to create jobs, or increase tax? Was it killed off when we joined the EEC?

Mr Booth had a very cavalier attitude to quality!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Create (and later protect) jobs, tax income from high end cars that would never be assembled here was a nice bonus.

One of the oft used arguments against EEC membership was that it would eliminate these jobs - it did, but it took a decade or so before it fully happened. (it was also claimed that our shoe and clothes industries would go - they have but rarely to other EEC area plants!) Some restrictions existed until the start of 1985 and lot of stuff wound up in 84 - Ford, Renault did.

I think some of the Japanese brands continued in extremely low volume for a while longer. I've some idea that MDL kept making Mazdas for a bit longer, and possibly Harris or Smiths doing something small and Japanese. Will check the newspaper archives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks for the info. So, if I understand, there must have been a punitive import duty on fully assembled cars, that was got around by doing the final assembly here (like Japanese car plants in the US). But, some high end brands chose not to go that route and pass the duty onto the end user - is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

There was an assumption that with a very high end car (Rolls Royce for example) money was no object for the prospective customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Interesting that Booth Poole and Brittains split the BMC makes between them. Any reason for this?

Were VW assembled on the Long Mile Road?

Any idea where Vauxhall cars were assembled?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contracts predating the formation of BMC I'd imagine. Austin and Morris sides of BMC and later BL were practically independent until extremely late!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

VW assembly started in Ballsbridge but later moved to Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

One major player was Lincoln & Nolan of 57-58 Lwr Baggot St with some activities like engine over-haulage on East Wall Rd. They long had the Austin franchise (among many others like Heinkel bubble cars) hence continued assembly even when in Farina era (c '59-71) other assemblers were putting together nearly identical cars. Booth Poole (earlier Booth Bros.) of Islandbridge had the Wolseley franchise from an extraordinarily early stage, for instance Edwin Booth was at a Wolseley Motors Ltd. 20th anniversary banquet in the Savoy on 3rd Nov 1922. Even when Morris Motors took over the bankrupt Wolseley (Savoy banquets might been a little part of that) later that decade (1926), the franchisees didn't change. Nearly all of these firms were eventually assembling BMC / BLMC / BL badge engineered products, but nearly to this day different dealer networks with franchises for different car manufacturers sell badge engineered products, like the Ford Galaxy of a few years ago. CKD operations mostly weren't that vast, so consolidation mightn't have worked and it went against the spirit of the CKD trade which Seán Lemass largely created after 1934 when Minister for Industry and Commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Ashenhurst williams in Ballsbridge used to assemble the Citroen DS from CKD kits in the early sixties. There's a few irish original cars still knocking about and i think the archbishop of Dublin had one at the time. The car was outrageously expensive then.

Heinkel were briefly the republic's only indiginous manufacturer, when the Irish Government bought the rights & plant to the bubble car and produced it in Dundalk. Very few were made here before the plant was sold to the unfortunately named Trojan Cars in Slough, who did a much better job at making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Santry Garda Station is actually the old office block of the firm which built Hillman cars at the time.

Plaque beside the front door commemorates the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

The adjoining assembly halls still stand too. It was Buckleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea whereabouts in Islandbridge were Booth Poole based?

Where the Bridgewater Quay apartments are, I believe. Site of an old house called Liffeybank

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting, thanks. I think CIE have some offices in there now.

Group Legal was there anyway, don't know what is now. The apartments are the vast bulk of the site.

Advertisement