Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental rules concerning multi occupancy rooms

Options
  • 12-04-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭

It is my understanding that renting out bedrooms to multiple people (non couples) in a single room falls fouls of Irish rules. Often we hear reports of councils clamping down on such apartments in our cities. Such arrangements are often aimed at migrant works who live in uncomfortable and unsafe cramped residences. I know one house with 16 people in one house. I can't find the specific standard explaining how this are illegal? Am I misremembering? Is this actually allowed? I know there is a statuary definition of overcrowding, I wonder is it connected to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm is shower repair. I'm in half a dozen homes every day. I've seen Georgian houses with each room a separate apartment. I've seen up to two sets of bunk-beds in a single room. The same room has a tiny kitchenette. WC has a toilet and a shower almost sitting on each other. My heart really went out to these tenants when the first lockdown took place and you weren't supposed to leave your home. Worse conditions than prison in some cases.

I don't believe government or councils will do much to stamp this our as long as we have a housing crisis. Reducing the amount a beds available isn't a priority at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The more I read about this, the more it seems councils are using fire regulations cooking? and perhaps ventilation requirements to stamp them out. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most of the ones in Georgian buildings that I described above have the kitchenette just inside the door. Fire is most likely to break out in kitchen, blocking exit. I doubt these would pass todays fire regulation but there are plenty of them

Advertisement