Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Wanted* Set of 700c wheels as building bike for Ukrainian (or full bike)

Options
  • 11-04-2022 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Everyone

I am hosting a lady from Ukraine at my house.

Last week she got a job in Limerick. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for us to arrange transport for her to get to work (we are living outside of the town).

I bought a Second-hand bike, unfortunately, the wheels are in an unusable state. On the top of the bike, I could afford a new chain and cassette but not wheels.

Could anyone help\advise\donate with a set of wheels?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

May have a set of bontrager race...stock wheels off a Trek Domane, currently have a 11 speed cassette which I may keep, need to look at condition of it..I'm based in Dublin . Free to Ukranian lady.

Putin is a cnut .......

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zamrak

I have sent you a pm , I will box and post them to you, I'll pay post costs, a good cause. 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Fair play Secman!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If that fall's though I have a set free for anyone fleeing Putin. Kysriums.

• Advertisement

I got the postal details so will be boxing them tonight for posting on Thursday 🤞, no cycling today so have time on my hands this evening.

Putin is a cnut..... Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦

The level of the Help is on an extremely high level.

We are receiving\accomodating groups of people from Ukraine in Limerick. The main feedback is that the attitude and care in Ireland are the best among all other European countries.

A lot of people are located in rural villages so I guess there will be more cyclists on the roads this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Let us know if there's any way we can help. I feel pretty powerless and anything small I can do to assist please let me know.

Wheelset fully shod and cassette posted this morning, best of luck with them.

@zamrak If you want to post some pics of the old wheels or contact me privately, I may be able to recondition them and send them to one of the organizations arranging bikes for Ukrainians...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We are doing the same

I'm co-ordinating getting bikes sorted for a few families and school age going kids.

Luckily a lot of people have unused bikes sitting in sheds

Glad to see box arrived Sasha, 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Buy her a decent lock too or the free wheels will have gone to waste

I think I have one. Let me have a look and if I find it I can post it.

@trekker

Sent you a PM with the address should you find the lock 👍

I know it's in there as I keep seeing it when I'm looking for something else. Before Covid my bike shed was just that, my bike shed, kept spotless. My 2 comedians moved back home during covid and now it is a recording studio, boxing gym, social gathering place for shrieking 21 year old ex Bieberettes and a literal dumping ground. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Are there people doing this?

At least 1 old mountain bike knocking about here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

river cycles in dublin is one such place taking in old bikes for that purpose.

Various shops/organizations have been appealing for donations of used bikes.

If you post your general location here, I’m sure someone will point you in the direction of one of those..

Near Drogheda. In Dublin fairly often too, Northside mainly

• Advertisement

Monday Morning to everyone!

The First Bike of the Help to Ukrainian Lady is ready for a spin! She is extremely happy and sends everyone involved hugs and best wishes.

It was a nice experience.

Huge respect to Secman for a wheelset. It was essential for the bike.

Waiting for a lock from a tracker :)

Be seen be safe! Surprisingly I was not able to find a red reflector to fit on the seat tube all of mine are very small.

Starting a new project!

Any help is more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good job zamrak, and well done secman.

Mint

Missed this.

I'll be in beside them Friday.

Have that bike flying there now.

You reckon they'll take it?

@zamrak great stuff. what bits you need for next project. I'm getting new wheels this week. Will have a set of entry level mavics with 10 or 11 speed cassette coming free. Few other bits. Saddles? Pedals?

I'll get them to you.

Bike looks great Zamrack thanks to your hard work, is that a new cassette or just cleaned it up ?

I'll have a search to see if anything else might be of use to you, definitely have a huge saddle I took off a bike 😃

I tried all my best ) I do regret not taking a foto of the bike in it's initial state - the bike would probably go directly to the skip. All non aluminium parts were rusty (( the front rim was crooked, back wheel was missing, the hanger was slightly bent... The frame was light and straight.

Owner agreed to sell it.

New:

cassette, chain, rear hanger, saddle (it is old lidl/aldi one), all the cables are new and a new lidl/aldi stand and front light.

Replaced some rusty bolts. A lot of time was wasted on removing rust from a fork (cola + aluminium foil are perfect but slow). I do not have tools to disassemble the fork so it is as it is.

Now it looks great! Better then from a shop ))

Hi Lads

Following my 2nd project

I do need:

• set of the pedals (any standard ones)
    • set of the 700c wheels
    • seatpost with offset (if possible) I will check the diameter in the evening
    • saddle

The shifters are extremely worn but seem to be working. The rear derailleur is just one big pain. Not sure if it should be replaced.

Going to take off the front fork and spray it with paint. Thinking if I should leave it scratched as it is to keep thieves off the bike or paint and bring it to a nice state.

I've decent wheels and pedals. 10 speed cassette any use on wheel?

Have saddles but be off road bikes. Bit solid?

PM your address.

• Advertisement

Advertisement