Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you lubricate hinges like these?

Options
  • 11-04-2022 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭

I have tried various things, spraying wd40 on directly (bit messy), pouring some oil down from the top, doesnt seem to work that well...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Contrary to popular belief standard* WD-40 is not a lubricant. Sure it can penetrate rusted bits, loosen parts and get things moving but if you want good long lasting lubrication you need to buy a grease or oil that meets the demands of the job. You could try a silicone or PTFE based grease, they come in spray cans and are usually sold beside the WD-40.

Something like this, although I can't vouch for this one in particular as I haven't used it, but they should all work the same.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/3-in-one-pro-high-performance-lubricant-spray-with-ptfe-400ml-523290.html

*I know WD-40 do lubricants as well, but the standard stuff is not designed for long lasting lubrication.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have something like that, but as its a closed hinge do you just spray it all over or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

If it was me, I'd spray a little bit on all the moving bits and into the more exposed areas at the top and sides, open and close the door a few times to work it in, spray a bit more on and repeat until the squeaking stops. If that doesn't work then I'd remove each hinge individually so I don't have to take the door off and take them apart, clean everything with a wire brush, apply a heavier lubricant and then reassemble. Bit of work in that though to be honest, I'd be hoping the first method would work for a while anyway.

Worst case scenario you could find the same or nearly the same hinges in any DIY shop and just swap em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thanks!

i presume looking at the them that the centre pin maybe comes out in some way, but i could be wrong on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you apply a little oil/ spray lubricant around the top it will work it's way down into the moving parts. A cotton bud can be used to wick oil in around the gaps, it won't take much, it's only an internal hinge so not subject to the same issues as a hinge exposed to the elements. I use light mineral oil (3 in 1) on internal hinges, white lithium spray grease on external hinges and graphite powder on cylinders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement